Topic

Dog coats

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dog coats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Not the dumb ones that look more like lame costumes than actual productive insulation or weather proof gear…

Has anyone used any of the coats from these guys?
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/dog-supplies/dog-clothing/ps/c/3307/1298

specifically the Cheyenne Shearling Dog Coat, Outback Coat, or the Attitash Dog Coat.

The prices are too good to be true. Is this stuff junk?

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Locale: Pacific NW

Haven't heard of them, but having tried Ruff Wear and shopping around, I found that most coats provide no protection under the chest and stomach. My suggestion, look at Cabellas.com as their coats are made of neoprene so are waterproof and warm and provide protection on the dog's underside. They have different sizes and are made to customize the fit.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I don't have any experience with the referenced company… but depending upon what you're after, you might be able to get by with a men's fleece or synthetic fill vest that would fit your dog. Maybe you can find a good thrift store or Gear Swap deal, or depending on you and your dog's size, you can share the same vest (obviously at different times).

For example, my 95 lb lab wears my M's Large synthetic fill vest. It has just enough room in the chest and arm openings that he can comfortably fit in it and I just cinch up the waist around his mid section. Works great for hanging around camp. While hiking, the dog doesn't wear any kind of insulation or rain protection. We just keep moving, snack along the way and dry him off real good in camp and get his vest on him if needed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No experience with the ones shown.

I do however have one of the nylon turnout coats from Foggy Mountain Dog Coats that is nearly 20 years old and going strong. Has held up to everything. That one is on it's second dog.

Here's a link

http://www.dogcoat.com/?page_id=10

Have you seen these? http://www.k9topcoat.com/pilot.asp

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Ive used those cheap yellow rubber ducky rain coats from pet smart and they worked pretty good. Not to stylish though. They do heep alot of rain off a dog and a pack holds them in place well

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

If you guys can wait a month or so, i will be testing a cottage gear manufacturer's new prototype dog coat/blanket and will have pics and a review, IF the manufacturer permits, of course.

M

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Matthew,

Will it look something like this? ;-)

;-)” height=”476″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1329939206_57938.jpg” width=”550″ />

Party On,

Newton

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I think it's terrible that you're skinning dogs and making coats out of the…..

Oops! ;)

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Newton,
    That's BADD A$$!! I wish….

Actually, it's a synthetic insulated dog quilt that will magically turn into a coat/dog parka.

M

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Thanks for all the different options. I didn't realize my dog could shop at more stores than I do for Jackets.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools