Topic

Skurka’s upcoming slideshows & clinics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Skurka’s upcoming slideshows & clinics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I'm giving 43+ slideshows and clinics this Spring, starting in the Bay Area during the week of March 5-10. It'd be great to see some BPL'ers at some of them. If you make it, please say hello.

The slideshow recounts my 4,700-mile 6-month Alaska-Yukon Expedition. Great photos, entertaining video clips, and a few good stories. The clinic focuses on backpacking, gear, supplies and skills. Not many stories, but great how-to information. I'll be selling and signing books at all events.

Google Map of all events

Listing of all events, below. For more details, go to: http://andrewskurka.com/slideshows-clinics/current-schedule

Google – Authors@Google (private)
    Monday, March 5
    Mountain View, CA

Sunrise Mountain Sports
    Monday-Tuesday, March 5-6
    Livermore, CA

Heartflow (private)
    Wednesday, March 7
    Redwood City, CA 94063

Sports Basement – Bryant Street
    Wednesday-Thursday, March 7-8
    San Francisco, CA

Quest Outdoors
    Monday-Tuesday, March 12-13
    Louisville, KY

Bill Jackson’s
    Wednesday-Thursday, March 14-15
    Pinellas Park, FL

Pack & Paddle
    Friday-Saturday, March 16-17
    Lafayette, LA

River Sports Outfitters
    Monday-Tuesday, March 19-20
    Knoxville, TN

Nantahala Outdoor Center
    Wednesday-Thursday, March 21-22
    Asheville, NC

Forsyth Country Day
    Friday, March 23 (private)
    Winston-Salem, NC 27103

Great Outdoor Provision Co and Summit School
    Saturday, March 24
    Winston-Salem, NC

Washington & Lee University
    Wednesday-Thursday, March 28-29
    Lexington, VA

Campmor
    Friday-Saturday, March 30-31
    Paramus, New Jersey 07652

Seekonk High School
    Monday, April 2
    Seekonk, MA

BSA Troop 77 and Innovation Academy Charter School
    Wednesday, April 4
    Tyngsboro, MA

The Alpine Shop
    Friday-Saturday, April 6-7
    Kirkwood, MO 63122

Fin & Feather
    Monday-Tuesday, April 9-10
    Iowa City, IA 52246

Kalamazoo College
    Saturday, April 14
    Kalamazoo, MI

Lee’s Adventure Sports
    Saturday, April 14
    Portage, MI 49002

The Mountaineers
    Monday & Wednesday, April 16 & 18
    Seattle, WA 98115

Mt. Baker Theatre
    Tuesday & Thursday, April 17 & 19
    Bellingham, WA

Columbia Center for the Arts
    Saturday, April 21
    Hood River, OR 97031

GoLite – Colorado Springs
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO

Colorado Mountain Club
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012
    Golden, CO 80401

Neptune Mountaineering
    Thursday, April 26, 2012
    Boulder, CO

Midwest Mountaineering Expo
    Saturday, April 28
    Minneapolis, MN

GoLite – Boulder
    Thursday, May 31, 2012
    Boulder, CO

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Good to see Bellingham, WA getting some love! I'll see you there Andrew!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I might be coming through VA in late spring to see family so hopefully I can make Lexington. I'll have to bring my little brother with me.

Loved the book by the way.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Luke – That'd be great. As an extra incentive, rumor has it that Ron Bell will also be there.

You must be a fast reader, or it's a really good book. I've heard from a few people who have read it twice already.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

No love for NM. I don't blame you, our local Mexican food would make it impossible for you to ever hike again.

Nick E.

@traletrasch

Locale: PNW

cant wait!! i'll definantly be there on april 16th, this is really really exciting.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Nick –

I'm actually giving two events in Seattle, which is the case with most places I'm going to. Monday I'm giving my Alaska-Yukon slideshow. Wednesday I'm giving my gear & skills clinic.

You can pre-purchase tickets to one or events here: http://andrewskurka.com/product-category/event-tickets/

Andrew

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I should get my book any day now and looking forward to the Livermore clinic and slide show on March 5TH & 6TH.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Unfortunately, Portland, OR and is being essentially skipped. Hood River is a solid hour's drive from Portland and only one of the two seminars is being held. It's hard to imagine not being able to arrange a site in Portland. The mind begs the question why you'd site it so far from a major hiking center.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Bob –

I'm totally with you, but Next Adventure declined my offer, the REI stores don't make it worth my while, and the week got filled by events in Seattle, Bellingham and Hood River. I haven't pursued another venue in Portland, and I'm kind of looking forward to having that Friday off. Any ideas for when I cruise through next time?

Andrew

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Nevermind. Found it.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

The Boulder event was rescheduled to Saturday, March 10. Apparently there have been some construction hang-ups with the new store and they had to push the opening date back.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Haha Andy it was a good book and I read fast. I've probably read it two or three times for all practical purposes. Once through and than back to re read certain parts. Very handy in boring classes:)
    Hope you can meet my little brother, he hiked like a little thru hiker when he was 10.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Have you ever considered Texas? Its not a supper outdoor spot but it seems half of Texas migrates north to Colorado every summer.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

It was a low-hanging fruit situation — I got some great leads in FL and LA (and later KY) so that is where I focused my attention.

Part of the challenge in scheduling these events was finding venues that fit some key criteria:
    1- They were willing to pay me, and/or give me a share of the door and/or book sales. (Hey, traveling all over the country isn't cheap or easy, and there's no sponsor behind this tour.)
    2- They had to be able to generate a good turnout.
    3- They had to be able to make a decision.

I don't know the retail scene very well in Texas, but I've presented at Backwoods before and generally the chains are tough to work with, for one or more of the reasons listed above. I had much more luck with smaller stores (e.g. Campmor and Sunrise Mountain Sports) and autonomous outdoor groups (e.g. The Mountaineers, BSA troops).

Which stores should I contact in Texas if I do something like this again?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Andrew,

REI in Dallas has decent presentation facilities and a good "membership" – folks who regularly turn out for this sort of thing (although from your post you may already have tried them). With some advance notice I might be able to arrange something at Schreiner University, in Kerrville (Hill Country, not too far from San Antonio). Has an active outdoor club, and a friend of mine and I send a group to do trail maintenance in Montana every summer.

Terrific book, by the way. Congratulations on an excellent job.

Richard

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Richard – If you want to put me in touch with your friend, I'd be happy to talk with him. University outing clubs are perfect for these events.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Andrew,

Just wanted to say that I am looking forward to seeing your presentations at Sunrise Mountain Sports in Livermore, CA. and to buy your book.

I was meaning to buy your book from your website, but since you are going to have them with you, makes it all the easier.

As an interesting side note: two of my bivy/shelter photos are in your book.

I was contacted by a representative from Nat Geo a few month ago saying that she had seen some of the photos I have posted on BPL and wanted to use them for an unnamed book. To my pleasant surprise, they were for your book.

Anyway, looking forward to your visit and meeting you.

-Tony

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I wondered where those photos came from. I knew it was the Sierra but I haven't look at the photo credits. Good shots. Good camp.

See you at Sunrise.

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

Locale: Western NC Mountains

I hope to make it to the Asheville event!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'll be @ the Asheville event as well.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Andrew,

Here is where the photos came from…there are a lot of them, the shots in your book are about 1/3 and 2/3 into the photo essay, taken in Deadman's Canyon.

Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park: Deadman Canyon

-Tony

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

I'll try to make it to the Asheville talk, its a bit of a drive from Atlanta but any excuse to go to Asheville is good with me! And besides, I miss the last talk at NOC!

Anyone in Atlanta that would be interested in a carpool, lets set something up!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Glad to see you signed up with River Sports in Knoxville, TN. I will be there.

Ryan

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Ryan – Great to hear. I spoke at River Sports back in Spring 2006 so it'll be nice to get back there. I remember there being some good trail running just outside of town too in one of the parks.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools