Topic

Bear Can Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bear Can Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Rod

@bespokegear

Locale: Front Range

Hi Everyone,
    Sorry I have not responded sooner- been in the shop working on a tent.

@Casey- It is a Bearikade Expedition. If I was to make something like this for sale, it would probably be in the $225/250 range. But I would want to get a couple of orders together to make it worth the effort. Please send me an email if you, or anybody else is interested.

@Harold- It carries fairly well empty, but then again, my total load with out food was light- in the 8 pound range. I never felt the need to shift much weight into the can, but I suppose I could have carried my cook kit in there if needed.

If a cottage guy is looking at the design to use it for their own, Id hope that they would contact me about it first. my email is [email protected]

@Clayton
    , The pack does have an adjustable torso. I was testing out the idea of a lightweight way to accomplish a couple inches of adjustability. This works fairly well.

@Ken
    , The bottom of the pack is just the corrugated frame sheet with two layers of XPac, so I dont know if I would say padded, so much at protected.

@Gregory
    , I didnt have any issues with the pack carrying awkwardly. I think this is mostly due to the full length plastic framesheet. It transfers weight really well.

@Konrad
    , the framesheet actually does continue down, behind the lumbar pad, and under the canister

@Hobbes
    , It would be a major hassle (in my opinion at least) to wrestle the pad into this sleeve every morning. Sure it could be done, but the 7 ounce frame sheet is really nice when the whole pack is loaded up with food and water. At night, I use the pack under my legs as insulation (the bottom curls up past my feet).

Also, I really like having the can on the outside, as I can easily access my food during the day without unpacking anything.

Everybody else, thanks for the comments!

Here are a few pictures of the framesheet:

.sjh

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools