Topic

where to find these fabrics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear where to find these fabrics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

I've been looking but can't seem to locate a distributor of two of the fabrics shown on the backpack in the picture below. One is the stretchy material used on the side pockets. This stuff feels similar to lycra but thinner, more sturdy, and less porous. The other is the blue material underneath the side pockets. It is some kind of ripstop fabric with a very small grid. Appears to be the same stuff used by Granite Gear on their Vapor Trail packs. Anyone know where I can purchase either of these by the yard?MH Thruway 50
    Thanks,
    TJ

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Pockets is maybe standard lycra mesh such as what Questoutfitters carries?

MH lists the following materials used:

Body 100D HT Ripstop Dobby Nylon
    Accent HardWear™ X-Ply Dyneema®
    Bottom HardWear™ X-Ply Dyneema®

So the body I would say is probably a coated nylon ripstop in the 3.3oz range. The bottom and is most likely a version of Dimension-Polyant's VX21 (or maybe VX07, haven't felt the fabric myself).

Maybe you can PM Dave Chenault to get his take on the materials.

I can see where you're going with this and I'm definitely curious. I've all but decided to make my own clone once I get some more sewing skills under me!

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

Bump. Anyone?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools