Topic

Zpacks cuben tarp setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks cuben tarp setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I'm thinking of getting a 6'x9' cuben tarp from Zpacks.com for $190, using their 1.25mm spectra for guylines, 1.5mm spectra for my ridgeline, and their 6.5" titanium stakes. Depending on how many tie outs I decide to get on each of the long sides (one or two, what do you think? Is 4.5 feet of tarp too much for one tie out point on the long side?), and accordingly, how many stakes (6 or 8), my total tarp weight will be 6.53 oz or 7.09 oz respectively, including all guyout lines, the ridgeline, and stakes. Add a 6.5 oz Equinox Bivy as a rain guard for my bag and as a groundcloth, and my total shelter weight would be 13 and 13.5 oz. Total cost, about $300 plus shipping (actually I got free shipping on the Equinox Bivy which I already bought, but I havent bought anything else yet).

Thoughts? I am new to cuben fibers so Im not sure if this is light by cuben standards, but for me, its a great improvement over a 2 lb Nemo Gogo tent (which when you think about it, is already pretty lightweight at 2 lbs). Sub 1 lb though is another world for me, a world that excites me very much!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would ask Joe about the tie outs. I think it will be fine though with one tie out on the long side. My tarp is slightly larger and that's what I do.

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

I just recently received my zpacks 9×7 tarp. I went with the max tie outs, 12, and got loops inside the ridgeline for my bivy. The tarp came in at 4.75 oz with the cuben stuff sack. So if you are conerned about weight, it is not really an issue. I would go with the extra tie out on the long sides.

The 9×7 tarp with the all the tie outs, stuff sack, zpacks 1.25 mm line, 8 ti stakes, and ti goat bug bivy I am at 12.3 oz for my shelter…isn't cuben great!

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

That was my thought, Am, that at .02 oz per tie out, and up to 12 tieouts at no extra charge, I might as well get the 8 tieouts instead of 6.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Do you plan on figuring in the weight of a bug net of some sort?
    Duane

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Nah, where I camp, bugs aren't generally an issue, and if it gets bad, I have a bug head net I will be carrying anyway (for black flies May-July) I can put on.

James Stewart
    BPL Member

@jstewse

Locale: New England

I've got the 6x9x5 tarp from Zpacks, and I find the single tie-outs on either side (the long side) to me perfect. I think two would be way overkill and more finicky to use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools