Topic

Just another (ultralight) gear list – Looking for creative ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Just another (ultralight) gear list – Looking for creative ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

I'm feeling pretty solid about this sub-8lb list and I'd like to get some feedback.

Plus, we're elbow deep into winter here and without a lot of pow to show for it, so you've got to occupy yourself somehow, right?

I'm interested in filling in necessary safety gaps or MYOG/free/cheap ways to reduce baseweight. I know I could throw down on a 6 ounce cuben fiber tarp but that's not going to happen.

Any ingenious solutions? Tear it apart!

<< http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3971 >>

Also I'm aware there isn't a camera on this list. See this: << http://tinyurl.com/7nebs9x >> for an explanation of why I may forego a camera on UL trips from now on.

Thanks

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Replace rain gear w/DriDucks.

Or sell the Contrail & raingear and get a Gatewood Cape to replace the shelter & rain gear. Add the Serenity insert if needed. Buy a cheap set of Driducks if you want backup. Also serves as a windshirt.

You have a great list that you should be proud of.

Kyle Leonard
    BPL Member

@kyle121378

Locale: CO

Looks pretty darn good.

I don't know what mini airplane toothpaste is but you could dehydrate toothpaste into toothpaste dots. I use ultrabright for dehydrating from walmart $1. Not all toothpastes deydrate well.

I try to do 15-20 miles per day and I use wrightsocks which is a double layered sock and are awesome. I use the cushioned dlx low quarter ($12) and that would save you 1.2 ounces. The crew height of that style is the same weight compared to what you are using. I don't know about your underwear but I use underarmour "o" series 6" boxer briefs ($20) for serious chafing protection. No weight savings there but chafing has been a serious issue for me when doing high mileage and is therefore is also a safety issue. I also carry a small container of hydropel for this. (.5 oz)

For safety, I pack duct tape instead of athletic tape for additional uses such as blisters, tent repair, etc; I also bring 1 single serving of neosporin (less than .1 oz) and 2 benedryl (less than .1 oz & I'm alergic to stings).

I used to use treking poles but now that my pack is much lighter and I'm in better shape than previously I forgo using treking poles. I'd buy the single tent pole from tarptent(2 oz/$6) and save yourself 7.4 oz. The only time I need a treking pole now is when crossing decent sized streams and I use a stick for that.

I also use the black diamond spot headlamp. It has double the light output and beam distance of what your headlamp does but weights .25 oz more. I live in CO and I having good beam distance gives me comfort when I have to pee or drop a deuce in the middle of the night.

I don't know what type of titanium stakes you use but I carry 1 vargo titanium ascent "v" stake to use as a trowel during the day.

Hope that helps.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Gentlemen thanks for the comments.

I agree that Dri-Ducks is definitely a next step. I haven't used them but I have seen them and they seem decent although I'm not a big fan of the disposability factor. I'm actually kind of tempted to just put my 16 oz goretex proshell (OR Mentor) on the list because it's so bomber and not much heavier than the precip.

The "mini-airplane toothpaste" was given to me by a buddy who got it on an international flight. Truth be told I usually just skip the brushing for two nights or less (gross, I know). Once this little guy is gone I'll try out some dots.

There are so many options with the headlamp, this one is actually about an ounce and a half heavier but much brighter than the one I was using (triple LED for hat brim with elastic cord) and a lot more functional.

Kyle, I think you make a good point about ditching the trekking poles, especially since I went ahead and bought the tarptent pole. It isn't very robust but sticks would make a suitable back-up in the event of a failure.

Anybody want to buy a pair of hardly used Black Diamond Z-pole Distances? ~$80 new I'd sell for 60!

More feedback welcome.

Edit: The Gatewood cape suggestion is really interesting. Like I said I've been considering the tarp route, but I'm not that into the idea of wearing the cape for rain gear, it just seems really awkward and bulky. Maybe if I was just hunkering down and waiting it out but not while moving. But if you're waiting it out why not just pitch a tarp.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Tyler,

You didn't say what kind of weather you will be hiking in.

I hate Dri Ducks. Two pairs and zipper problems with each after a few uses.

One of my versatile pieces of gear is a Houdini wind shirt.

Down to about a low temp of freezing I can get by with Cap 1 bottoms and hike in a merino/poly blend shirt that weighs under 6 oz, and a pair of nylon shorts. If I get cold walking, I put on the Cap 1 bottoms. I wear them to sleep in. I take a MB Ex UL Jacket or Vest. If it is too cold, I just drape my quilt over me while sitting in my shelter doing tasks before going to sleep.

There are lighter shelters, but more money to be spent.

I rarely take a camera, but I sure wish I had some pictures going back 20, 30, or 40 years ago. Take one on those super exciting special trips.

I often don't brush my teeth on short trips either.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Nick-

You're right, I didn't mention weather. This is meant to be a middle ground, 3-season list. I haven't used my GoLite quilt yet but I expect it will be comfortable, with my MB inner parka, base layer and blue foam down to the mid-20s. I can add or subtract depending (although I don't think adding many more clothes would help nighttime comfort). I hike in the PNW, Intermountain West and Utah desert. Summer lows in the 20s or 30s and always a chance of varying forms of precip.

I've been wondering how a windshirt would fit in my system, but one thought is that I could get rid of the somewhat heavy Smartwool top and replace with a windshirt. I've just always thought why bring a windshirt when I'm already bringing a rain jacket.

I agree with your camera suggestion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools