Topic

Beak for tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Beak for tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    peter tooke
    Spectator

@petersont

Locale: NYC

Howdy-

I'd like to add a modular beak for my MLD grace duo (cuben) tarp. I've considered just ordering the HMG beak 2 and making it work – it seems like it should with a few modifications.
    Otherwise, make one myself with questionable results, klutz that I am…

But I REALLY like the idea of extending the coverage of my tarp, if only a bit ( need not go all the way to the ground ). ie, make semi-horizontal wind and rain from easy access to me.

All approaches, ideas, suggestions much appreciated-

cheers

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Peter, Here's one way to add a beak. The two halves of the beak are separate from each other and are sewn to the front hem of the tent/tarp. They can be extended or rolled back independently. This is particularly advantageous for a retro-fit because it doesn't interfere with the ridge tie out. Any type of pole can be used at any distance from the tie out. None, one or both sides can be extended without a stress point where they would otherwise be connected to each other near the peak. This works fine for protecting the entrance from wind and rain. Yes, water can drip from the peak opening, but it drips clear of the entrance. The two halves attach to each other with velcro and attach separately to the front guy line via shock cord, modified mitten hooks, and a small tautline hitch.

Peak with different poles:

Peak 030

Peak 026

Peak 031

Peak 032

Peak 033

Peak 034

Attachment to front guy line:

Peak 021

Peak 022

Peak 023

Peak 024

Tie back loops:

Peak 025

Peak 027

Pieces from a retrofit:

Peak 013

Peak 014

Peak 034

Peak 035

Peak 036

Attaching to a tent during initial construction. I have also retrofitted tents with the same pattern. The placement is slightly different.

Peak 052b

Peak 053

Peak 062b

Under side of ridge tie out:

Peak 003

Hope this helps.

peter tooke
    Spectator

@petersont

Locale: NYC

Lance-
    Wow, thanks for taking the time to post such a helpful reply.
    I will study the pics and try to come back with some better thought out questions, but right off the bat, I am hesitant to apply my less than stellar sewing skills to Ron's beautiful Cuben tarp. Just one reason I like the idea of what HMG did with their echo tarp / beak system.
    I would love to see a wide shot of your tent/beak – very nice work.

cheers
    peter

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Lance those pics are great!

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

Holy COW! What a tarp!

I want one too!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools