Topic

Trail running Emergency Bivy Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Trail running Emergency Bivy Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ that's pretty close to what I carry for a first aid kit; I add small tweezers (from a SAK Classic), a couple of Benadryls and a couple of Imodiums

Mike Philip

@mphilip

We do the same type of running as you (just in southern alberta instead of Banff) and what i carry is listed below:

-zip off pants. Normally run in the shorts and then if we stop for a break i can zip on the legs, these only weigh 1-2 oz more than most running shorts do. other advantage of these is they dry super fast.

-either a Titanium Goat bivy (5-6 oz) or a emergency bivy 3 oz

-emergency poncho if rain is not in the forecast, if possibility of rain i take lightweight rain coat

-MEC Uplink Hoody. This is great to throw on if we stop or if you got stuck overnight, with it and the bivy you will survive.

-Duct tape wrapped around a lighter/ small piece of fire starter. Tape for blister repair and gear repair and fire starting with the lighter and stick

-I always run in my long sleeve Merino shirt…save the sun burns, a bit warmer in the mornings and evenings and I hate short sleeves :)

-Under Armour Toque and some really lightweight gloves in the early spring or fall

-Water and Food

-Spot transmitter

-Bear Spray

Thats about all i carry other than a camera or cell phone depending on where we are running.

Cheers,

Mike

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

What type of pack do you use on your runs? I have tried on everything at MEC and don really like anything. Also how do you attach your bear spray. I was thinking about strapping it to a shoulder strap but havent tried it yet.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

What I would take, based on Ten Essential Groups
    http://texas.sierraclub.org/dallas/page.asp?10essentialgroups

Medical- first aid kit, drivers license, ID tag, medications
    Shelter- heatsheet bivy, rain jacket
    Fire- lighter, matches, tinder
    Hydration- containers, chlorine dioxide tablets
    Communication- safety plan, whistle
    Navigation- map, compass, light, wristwatch
    Nutrition- few bars
    Insulation- insulated jacket, hat, gloves, foam pad for torso
    Sun Protection- sun block, running hat
    Tools- swiss army knife

Mike Philip

@mphilip

Greg,

I currently use a Gregory that they dont make anymore…

this one is close to what i use

http://ca.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/262/wasatch-12

I know there are lighter packs made but this one has served me well over 5-6 years of hard running and adventure racing, has never let me down.

I tried to weigh all my gear last night but my scale batteries crapped out…will try to get some new ones for tonight and post the whole package weight.

Cheers,

Mike

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

For those who don't know much about them, here's a little info: "The Brooks-Range UltraLite™ Alpini Shelter is a simple concept — effectively a frameless tent.
    • Weight 8.11 ounces (230 g)
    • Packed Size 4" x 4" (10.16 x 10.16 cm)
    • Dimensions (LxWxH): 47.6" x 38.7" x 25.2" (120.9 x 98.3 x 64.01 cm)
    • Color: Red, Yellow (color varies)
    The UltraLiteâ„¢ Alpini Shelter is a hi-tech fabric box that provides highly effective protection from wind and rain, trapping and retaining the body heat from one or more people. By creating a warm local environment, the UltraLite Alpini Shelter provides protection from the threat of hypothermia and wind chill.

The UltraLite Alpini Shelter is used for lunch and rest stops, when pitching a tent would be too time consuming and impractical. The UltraLite Alpini Shelter can be quickly and simply pulled overhead, to provide shelter from the wind, cold and rain while eating lunch or just taking a break. "Ounce for ounce one of the best pieces of outdoor gear you can carry."

The Brooks-Range UltraLite Alpini Shelter 200 is made with high tenacity ripstop nylon, giving this shelter superior tear and abrasion resistance, while keeping it light and compact. Ideal for one or two backcountry travelers, the relief from cold and inclement weather is immediate once inside this simple shelter. With two people inside, it warms up in less than 10 minutes. Condensation is kept to a minimum thanks to breathable fabric and generously sized vents.

For most people going out into the backcountry, the UltraLite Alpini Shelter 200 will become an essential item on any equipment list, an attractive alternative to the standard bivy bag that weights less, packs smaller and is more versatile."

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have been carrying a Terra Nova Superlite Bothy 2 for many years on day hikes.
    Mainly has been used above treeline in Ireland and Scotland.

Weighs the same as the Brookes Range shelter.

During Winter I carry both a Blizzard and Bothy bag.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

There is a lot of good feedback here already, but I can't resist adding my opinion to the lot. In the past I did a lot of overnight runs in the Sierras, the Olympic mountains, and the Cascades. I learned that radiant barriers are surprisingly effective (as Neoairs and the Blizzard Bag demonstrate).

I carried a 9oz MYOG down quilt with bonded seams and a 0.33 oz shell, and two mylar emergency bags. One mylar bag went inside the quilt, aluminized side out. The other bag went outside the quilt, aluminized side in. This reduces radiant heat emission where it is produced (in the warm inner layers), and what little is emitted is reflected inward at the outer layer.

I carried a light down parka, and I added snaps to the cuffs, hood, and hem. I added matching snaps to the outer surface of the quilt. When inside the quilt, I snapped my parka to the outside of the quilt, under the outer mylar bag. The air in there is dry and on the seven occasions that I used this setup I never found that anything in that space became damp. I also brought a pair of women's nylon stockings (fuzzy, winter weight). They weigh almost nothing (less than two ounces), and are fragile, but they are ridiculously warm. They will inevitably get a run in them when you use them outdoors, but you can just throw a new pair into your kit when you get home.

I also had a 0.51oz cuben poncho tarp (which I still have). I think the suggestions to use a bothy seem a bit silly when a large poncho tarp can be used as a poncho, a grounsheet, a tarp, or a bothy (with a drawstring hem).

I never carried any kind of sleeping pad, but I made nests from grass and debris that not only elevated me a bit from the ground but also provided plenty of insulation. The edges of the oversized mylar bag drape down over the nest, trapping a bubble of warm air beneath you.

I also always carried a firestarting kit, but I never used it. I have to disagree with those who advocate taking inadequate insulation and relying on fire. That's foolish. A good, lightweight, well thought-out insulation kit will never fail you, and it works even when it is wet and windy and you are immobile. You cannot always count on making a roaring fire. Even for the proudest bushcrafter, wet fuel, a sprained ankle, and a bad storm can make a good fire impossible.

For under two pounds (and 25-30oz if you pay for cuben), you can have a down quilt (from Tim Marshall, say), two mylar bags, a down parka, a pair of winter-weight nylon stockings, a poncho tarp, and a firestarting kit. This in the same weight range as the options you proposed in your original post, but it will keep you much warmer and drier.

Arlan Beeck

@highpeakdrifter

The British Army did some tests a few years ago to discover the absolute minimum gear for survival for a night in severe Alpine weather conditions.

The winner?

A one-ounce plastic poncho.

You put on the poncho, sit down on a low rock, pull your knees and your arms up under the poncho, and that's the way you spend the night. Not exactly hotel-quality comfort, but at least, after storms and blizzards, you'll still be alive in the morning…

The poncho not only protects you from wind, snow and rain, but, ccording to the British Army , it reflects your body heat almost as efficiently as silvered Mylar.

I'm not a trail runner, but a mountain-climber…my little pack for day-long peak-bagging contains a plastic poncho. Period.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ technique of wrapping up, sitting w/ knees drawn can be added to w/ a small candle (or two) in addition to a emergency blanket or poncho, could significantly add to the heat to the "shelter". This technique goes back to at least pre-Revolutionary days when scouts would travel into enemy territory in the winter and couldn't give their location away w/ smoke. They used a very small fist sized fire (dug down slightly) and then wrapped up in their outer garment leaning w/ their back against a tree. Hence the name "scout fire".

The heat is in close proximity to the femoral artery and thus pretty effective at keeping core temps up.

the ones I use are beeswax and are small & pretty light at 1.3 oz and burn ~ 4 hours continuous, double that intermittent

obviously need to be cognizant of the open flame, imitating a roman candle would take the fun out of it :)

they work well in a debris shelter as well

Photobucket

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Mike, maybe I originally picked up the scout fire idea from you a couple years ago. Carried a bivy and storm candle many times since then, especially when day hiking or running in winter. Gonna read this thread later when I have more time. Thanks gang!

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools