Topic

Dickinson Park TH

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

My son and I are planning a trip to the Wind Rivers this summer. We were going to use the Dickinson Park TH. I've read that the road to the TH crosses tribal lands and I need a permit. Does anyone know contact info to get a permit and how much it costs? I've also read that the road is sometimes closed because of land disputes. Should I be using a different TH? Maybe come in from Big Sandy. We were planning on doing a loop over Haileys Pass and Texas Pass.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You could google the Wind River Indian Reservation and find out how much their fishing permit (required for reservation access whether or not you fish) currently is per day. I've read (in Nancy Pallister's "Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains," the only guidebook I've seen that addresses the recent reservation issues) that you need two one-day permits, one for the day you go in and another for the day you go out.

The Big Sandy trailhead is a lot closer to where you want to go, and there are no permit problems! It's also closer to Utah (less driving time). What you'll miss by going from Big Sandy is the high point of the Bears Ears trail. You could skip Texas Pass and take a longer trail to the Cirque of the Towers via the Lizard Head Plateau instead, which would make up for missing the Bears Ears Trail. I'm hoping to make that loop this summer.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Thanks Mary. I was hoping to explore the Bears Ears Trail but that may not happen if I come in from Big Sandy. I could still take in the Lizard Head Plateau like you said. I'll have to look into the mileage using Big Sandy.

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

You can get the necessary permit at the store about one mile south of Ft. Washakie. The road (Moccasin Lake Road according to my notes)leading to the TH is just a few hundred feet north of the store, very handy. Here is a list of the fees as of September, 2011:

Annual permit $120
    1 day permit 25
    7 day permit 75
    Senior Citizen (60+) 60
    Youth (15 thru 17) annual 25
    Handicap 20
    Recreation Stamp 5

The permit is labeled "Wind River Indian Reservation Tribal Fishing License" and further states "You must have a Tribal Fishing License for each day or any part of a day that you are on the designated areas of the Wind River Indian Reservation, whether you fish or not. A day starts at 12:01 a.m. and ends at midnight."

The $5 Recreation Stamp is required in addition to the other permits.

Have a great time!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools