Topic

I call it….The Draft Dodger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear I call it….The Draft Dodger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

In the pictures you can see that the lower shock cord is 2 feet from the end of the ground sheet. After laying in it in my living room and moving around a bit, I found that the footbox liked to fall down. I ended up moving the lower shock cord down to 13 inches from the footbox and I like this placement much better. It keeps the footbox up where its supposed to be and allows the side walls to lay flatter.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I put stripes of silicone on the groundsheet because, well, you know why. This of course adds weight.

One came in at 153 grams (5.39 ounces) and the other came in at 167 grams (5.89 ounces).

The heavier one probably got a bit more silicone, since the sizes were pretty identical.

Overall, I'm happy with how they turned out, and I can't wait to use them, especially with some Tim Marshall quilts I have coming in the next few weeks. I'll post any comments I have after I use them, especially regarding condensation.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Travis,

how did these work out in testing? Any condensation issues? Changes you would make?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Then there are fewer drafts

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Jerry,

I'd thought about something very similar. I considered sewing one side of the groundsheet directly to the quilt and putting a zipper on the other side for a sort of hybrid quilt/sleeping bag/bivy.

Never made it off the planning stages though

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I've used mine for years

One problem is there's an air draft channel on your sides. I put my sleeping pad inside.

Another problem is around my neck there's a huge draft channel to the outside, but I put a couple flaps that close that off.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

What is the advantage of this setup over a quilt and bivy when used with a tarp. My bivy is under 8 oz, provides draft protection, ground cloth duties but also provides full splash protection under a bivy. What am missing here, there has to be a big benefit that I'm missing given the reaction to the idea? By the way, looks like a good idea for those that already have a sleeping bag they like.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

It's half bivy. I like this!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

seperate quilt and bivy is a good solution

with a quilt/bivy hybrid, you save the top piece of fabric – maybe 2 ounces – not a big deal

I like to have a zipper on the top going half way down, attached to both the quilt and bivy. Convenient to open when you're too warm. If you had a zipper in both quilt and bivy that would be an extra zipper, but people are happy with a quilt without zipper.

When the quilt and bivy are sewn together, the quilt won't shift around, it will always cover you perfectly.

Maybe it's more of a personal preference thing than weight or warmth

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Tyler,
    I've used these several times under a tarp in winter and shoulder seasons before the bugs come out. I did make a change and that was the placement of the shock cords. I moved the top one closer to the foot about 12 inches. It was a small refinement that kept the shape better.

As far as condensation goes, it's not been that bad. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a buildup of moisture in the footbox, but I guess that doesn't mean that the condensation isn't being trapped in my insulation more than usual. Whatever the reason, it's not proven to be an issue so far.

Does anyone know if there is a chimney effect where the EE quilts cinch up at the feet? There's a little hole there and I've been wondering if much of the water vapor from sweat gets sucked out that little hole due to the temperature differential.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Greg,
    My reasoning for this design was to have some of the benefits of a bivy while lessening the chance for condensation. Now to be fair, I've never actually used a full bivy, so my reasoning was pretty hypothetical. At any rate, it's served well as a groundsheet that keeps my quilt and pillow from sliding onto wet or dirty ground, and can help snug up my quilt just a bit more when the temp drops or the wind picks up. I can't prove in any way that this is better than a true bivy, but it's decently light and serves a few good purposes.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>It's half bivy. I like this!

Thanks, Justin!

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Clever idea Travis! I like it!

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools