Topic

securing pillow to pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I have tried to do a search, because I know there have been a few tips about this, but have only located one method. I want to try securing my pillow to my pad, instead of having my pillow inside my mummy bag hood. I've seen the velcro patches on pad and pillow. I am using a NeoAir pad, and experimenting between the Cocoon Air Core pillow, and the Flex Air pillow from Ultralight Designs.

I guess I'm worried about the velcro hooks poking things and catching all sorts of debris.

Thanks!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've been using velcro strips for years now. They work! And I haven't had any problems with velcro catching debris at all.

Re. the FlexAir pillow… I've used them before but discarded them. YMMV, of course, but they are relatively uncomfortable to me, they make quite a bit of noise, and of course, they don't last all that long (would hate to apply new velcro every "so many" trips.

If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend MontBell's air pillow. It's built with different air chambers (so when you lay your head down, air isn't squeezed away to all other parts of the pillow) and designed to 'cradle' your head (and still works well with side sleepers like me).

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Yes, I have my doubts about the Flex Air pillow–I just can't believe the darn thing won't leak during the night. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet though. And it's so light it's got to be good, right? Isn't that enough?;-)

I have been eyeballing either the Montbell or the Exped pillows. The shape of the Exped looks like it would be better for side sleeping, but the Montbell's holes on the outside just look like there should be someway to lash it in place. I sleep on my stomach or on my side, so pillows are a problem to find one that does both comfortably.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Hi Ben,

How about some velcro details? Specifically:

How many strips and what size?

How do you secure them to the pad/pillow (self adhesive, superglue)?

What pad are you using?

Thanks in advance.

Casey

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I use the Montbell and run light elastic from the holes in the MB to some glued-on tabs on my Prolite.

Yet to move that system (which works) over to the NeoAir I now use almost exclusively as I don't get as much 'pillow creep' as I used to as I occupy the area above my head and the end of the inner tent with my food bag.

Slightly OT – but the NeoAir height is an issue with the MB (I don't have my pillow on the small pad); so I stole an idea from Nemo and crossed elastics under the MB pillow from its holes and stuff that space with any clothing I have to hand. Raises the MB height to just right.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

I've been using a neoair and the exped pillow and use my rain jacket or a shirt to hold the pillow in place. Lay the open, unzipped jacket under the head end of the pad, lay the pillow on top of the pad, then zip up the jacket around both. Or with a shirt, just pull it over the pad and pillow.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I tried a bunch of different ways: velcro, the Therm-a-rest snap kit, etc. and none of them worked that well. I ended up gluing two grosgrain loops to the bottom corners of my Kookabay pillow with Shoe Goo. I then run a small piece of cord through the two loops and tie it around the pad, a la the Katabatic Gear quilt attachment system. It never comes off accidentally and doesn't require gluing anything to your sleeping pad. Works great for me.

Andrew

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Some of the replies seem to imply that the pillow is not resting on the pad itself, but is being placed above it. Is that correct?

I like the idea of gluing loops onto the pillow and running a cord underneath. Regular cord or shock cord?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@ Casey:

Two sticky velcro strips – 1" x 3". Not sure if it makes a difference, but once applied, I put a bunch of books on them for a few hours. When separating pillow from pad out in the field, I take care to separate by "fingering through" — not by yanking apart. I've been using velcros like this for years now — on various different pillows and pads — and none has come unstuck.

a

b

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I sewed little elastic loops into the margin of a Big Agnes Insulated air core. Then I attached little plastic hooks to the loops. The hooks then "hooked" into the gromets that are aready on my Montbell Pillow. This way, the pillow was on top of the airmat, and it never moved out of place. It worked great for me.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Thank you for posting this and for all of your clever solutions, BPL'rs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I've been using velcro strips for years now. They work! And I haven't had any problems with velcro catching debris at all."

+1

bill berklich
    Spectator

@berklich

Locale: Northern Mid-West

I just pull a t-shirt over the top end of my NeoAir and stuff my Pillow under it. My weight pins the bottem end of the T-Shirt. Everything stays in-place for the night even though I toss alot and I have a fresh T-Shirt for the morning.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Somewhere in the MYOG forum I saw where someone (I wish I could remember who to give them credit) used GearAid Tenacious Tape to make tabs with holes made by a hole-punch and coupled with small plastic toggles taped to the other piece of gear.
    It was freaking genius.
    When I'm not on an iPad I'll do a better search if I'm not beaten to it.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills
    Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Seems you just beat me to the link.
    Not only was the idea a great one, it introduced me to Tenacious Tape, as well as got me thinking about other implementations of this tape/toggle set up.

Thumbs up man.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I do something similar but use a Buff and pull the buff over my Exped Air Pillow which provides enough resistance to keep the pillow on my Neoair and gives my face a better surface to lay on.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Love it, when it's cold i jus shove the pillow inside the hood of my sleeping bag. but in the summer I will probably be using a quilt so no hood.

/goes on search for toggles.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools