Topic

Hubs, or pole connectors as some people call them…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hubs, or pole connectors as some people call them…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pete Forest

@againpeter

Locale: France Europe

Hubs, pole connectors

These are hard to find, but easy to make. If you have the equipment. Which I don't.

Hence my question here; does anyone know where to get them? There must be lots of people looking for them, and MSR does not sell them seperately.

Anyone out there with some sparetime, tools and business sense?

Thank you,

Peter

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Fibraplex has one, but doesn't give a whole lot of specs on it. Other than that, I would PM Steve Evans from Suluk46. He seems pretty handy with things like this.

http://www.fibraplex.com/ProductPages/Hub.htm

Ryan

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

The only place I've been able to find is Fibraplex, which sells 1.5" by .5" disc-shaped ones, with a large hole, made of a material ~ABS, and drilled for three carbon poles; but they could be drilled larger for alloy.

I have a beat up used MSR Hubba that was cut up to make patterns for a silnylon fly, but the 2 hubs are still good. They are the ones in your photo with the ferrules mounted in them that stick out – a bit unwieldy compared to the older design, but they work. PM me if you want them. They fit DAC FL poles, but I would want something for the poles, as I can use the tubing, and the shipping to France would be much more expensive.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've made similar fittings, in a crude way, from plastic plumbing end caps (e.g. black abs). It has been a while and I don't have any photos and can't recall much about the details.

I do recall that I would drill through both sides of the end cap and put one pole through those two holes. I would then drill two more holes lower on the end cap sides and do the same. The 2" end caps, if I recall correctly, were just deep enough to allow for three stacked poles to run through it.

I would rate my post as almost worthless but it might get your thinker going in a direction that could be useful to you. I think shariing half baked ideas like mine used to be called brain storming.

Pete Forest

@againpeter

Thanks everybody for reacting.

It seems to be difficult to find those HUBS,

Because of this I decided to drop the idea for the moment until I have some tools myself.
    Instead of making some kind of Hubba, or Ferrino Chaos inspired structure, I will make a good old iglo model, mainly because it has 2 independant poles, so easy to replace without having to respect the Diameter of the Hub!

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Pete Forest

@againpeter

Thanks,

But shipping would be expensive, and as I explained in the 'to hub or not to hub' post, I decided Not to Hub, for the mentioned reasons.
    Merci.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Since Dac Poles makes a hub and http://www.polesforyou.com sells their poles, I would try contacting http://www.polesforyou.com. The Dac hub is a 6 way star, but you could use every other port to get the configuration you posted above.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Pete, I think you made the right decision. When various hubs are weighed, come to find out that for the same weight, you could have quite a few more feet of pole.

As for 'igloos', assume from your other thread that you mean cross pole domes.
    Before you settle on one of those, please consider the double cross pole domes.

The one on your German link is too skinny to benefit from the design. Better examples of the design are those used for bug tents, like the REI Bug Hut, and WE Bug Dome.

If the design is not arced to much – and you don't need too much arc to get plenty of headroom inside – it can be much more taut, rigid and wind resistant than the single cross-pole domes. I did a little thread called XX Tarp Tent, or something like that, that you can find on Search BPL. It is a very rigid canopy, much moreso than any single cross dome I've ever seen, and you don't have to use a lot of little triangles with curved sides to get the canopy shape – just one big, long rectangle does it. The pole crossing points must be raised to get the best out of the design, and that can be done simply by having shock cord attached to a reinforced patch on the inner canopy where you want the poles to cross. A loop of shock cord slipped through and over a ball lock tightener will snug up around the pole crossing and keep it elevated. Maybe a strip of velcro pile glued around the poles also at the crossing point to create more friction. The only catch is that silnylon or the like must be used for the canopy, as cuben and sailcloth are too inelastic to conform to the dome shape. Just some food for thought.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools