Topic

Tuolumne Meadows to Clouds Rest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Tuolumne Meadows to Clouds Rest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Luke H.

@scraps111

I'm thinking of doing an out and back this summer starting at Tuolumne and going to Clouds Rest. I would probably go JMT then cut over to sunrise lakes trail at sunrise high sierra camp then up to Clouds Rest. Is this doable as a two nighter? How many miles out and back? Would you recommend instead after hitting Clouds Rest to descend into the valley and take a shuttle back up to Tuolumne? Any other trip suggestions involving Clouds Rest? Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You can also start from Tenaya Lake. Sometimes it is easier to get a permit for a start there.

–B.G.–

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Bob's suggestion of starting at Tenaya lake is a good one. In fact a lot of people do Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest as a dayhike. So with two nights out you'll have ample time.

The trail head at Tenaya Lake has a shuttle (every 30 minutes) to Tuolomne so transportation is easy as well.

Day 1: Hike up from Tenaya Lake TH to Clouds Rest (6 miles) enjoy the views, turn around and go back to the trail junction (3.5 miles) and then on to beautiful Middle Sunrise Lake (1 mile) where you set up camp for the night.
    Day 2: Hike to lower Cathedral Lake (7 miles) and camp there. If you want to do some easy off trail exploring Mildred Lake is only a mile from Middle Sunrise and Echo Lake can be on your way to Cathedral without too much trouble.
    Day 3: Just 3.5 easy down hill trail miles out to Tioga Road at the Cathedral lakes TH. The shuttle stops here, so you can quickly get back to your car. Alternatively you can walk a couple of miles through Tuolomne Meadows passing by lovely Soda Springs as you make your way back to your car.

Luke H.

@scraps111

Thanks, I want to incorporate Cathedral Lakes into the trip, so that's why I was wanting to start there instead of Tanaya. That makes sense though to start at Tenaya and leave through Cathedral lakes. How many hours at an average pace would it take me to get up to Clouds Rest and then back to Sunrise Lakes? I won't be able to make it to the trailhead until around noon or 1:00, so that's a consideration. Also I'd like to do do more than 7 miles on the second day, are there any other options for that. Thanks again for your help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools