Topic

Debating stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Debating stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

I'm probably over thinking this, but curious what others think. I'm planning a 3 week JMT trip and the stove options are giving me the most trouble. I own a MSR Dragonfly, a Snow Peak LiteMax Titanium Stove and a White Box stove. I love them all! Anyone of an opinion on a late Aug/early Sept JMT trip?

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

A Jet Boil Titanium!!! Just kidding, well sort of. I love my Jet boil and I have A LOT of stoves. I have, and love, the White Box out of that selection. At that time of the year I would just take your lightest stove.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

How many times per day? Cooking or boiling water? How much cooked each time?

I'd take the Litemax.

Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

I like the sound of a Titanium Jetboil!!!

If I had to average it all out, we would probably boil 3 cups of water twice a day. I have been leaning toward the LiteMax, which is my go to stove. It's just so dang efficient, especially paired with my Optimus Terra Weekend HE pot.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Snow peak, and have a great time. Perfect timing by the way.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Ben Whitsett wrote: > I'm probably over thinking this, but curious what others think. I'm planning a 3 week JMT trip and the stove options are giving me the most trouble. I own a MSR Dragonfly, a Snow Peak LiteMax Titanium Stove and a White Box stove. I love them all! Anyone of an opinion on a late Aug/early Sept JMT trip?

Ben,

If you've got a LiteMax and an Optimus Terra heat exchanger cookset, your efficiency may approach that of a Jetboil. I'd say you've got a good system and that there's no compelling reason to upgrade (although the Ti JB would probably be lighter).

On a side note, everything I've seen come from WhiteBox has been really good stuff, so nothing negative to say there. However, the WhiteBox stove is a little more tuned towards speed than efficiency in my experience. You generally will have to carry a bit more fuel with a WhiteBox stove than with other stoves. The faster boil time may be just what you want, but the additional fuel requirement is something to keep in mind.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

3 weeks – you start to need reliability and performance.
    You all KNOW I am biased, but I would still say the Snow Peak.

Cheers

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

I have a LiteMax, and I LOVE it! Last year on the SHR I used it for 8 days worth of meals. I cooked morning and night, and with a cozy on a Wally world usa cup I was able to get all my fuel use out of ONE small 4oz can. I still had fuel leftover when I got to Mammoth. If you use the technique of bringing your water to a boil, or almost a boil, then cozy it, you can be extremely efficient with fuel.

Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

Thanks guys! LiteMax is my fave anyway!!!! I can boil 14 pots of 16oz of h20 on 1 Snow Peak canister. Speaking of kozying my meals…. I just picked up an Optimus (H)eat pouch. Though putting inside my jacket on cool night might still happen.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Hi, Ben,

I think the LiteMax is a great choice.

Interestingly, I just took delivery of a Kovea Camp 56g (aka the "Supalite"). Rumor has it that the LiteMax is just a Camp 56 with a Snow Peak label. The speculation is that Snow Peak contracted out the work to Kovea much like MSR contracted out the PocketRocket and MicroRocket to Kovea. I keep meaning to compare my Camp 56 to a LiteMax. I went by an REI recently but they didn't have a LiteMax in stock.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

First picture I saw looked exactly like the LiteMax, but then I found this other. I wondered how they were different only by a few grams. Looks like your "Supalite" is a bit shorter than my LiteMax. Where did you order from? Might make a good gift for my buddy. By the way backpacking stoves make great gifts. A different travel buddy recieved a Pocket Rocket from me and loves it!Snow Peak LiteMax vs. Kovea 56g "Supalite"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools