Topic

Making neat straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making neat straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Locale: London, UK

"I got one surprise, the foam is made up of some transparent fibers which mess a bit when cutting the mesh and actually poke through the edge binding later on"

Yeah I have some of the same stuff. So much hoovering and sweeping once I was done!

"Why have 3d mesh if it can't breath?"

Very good question. I should have used something more breathable for the outer. I guess I could add some holes. Hmmm. Maybe heat up a dremel type tool with a flame and press it on the fabric to cut out + seal a neat hole?

So on your straps did you just sew some binding straight to some 3D mesh? Is there an outer layer other than the webbing?

I'll have to have a look at those videos when I'm at home.

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

"(pads might be) unnecessary as long as we use materials that are sufficiently conformable to the shoulders while being sufficiently inflexible"

Mark brings up a good point; in fact, with my loads typically under 15lbs, I'm probably a prime candidate for padless straps. But a funny think happened on the way to the Forum, so let me share why I think pads are still a great feature:

I used to attach the top of my straps to my pack with belt (along with some backing). On one occasion, I reasoned that I could simply sew the 1.9 sleeve to the 1.9 pack, and skip the belt on the top. After I penciled it out, I realized all I had to do was add an extra 2" or so to the sleeve and I'd be good to go.

OK, so here's what happened: after I sewed the sleeves to the pack and placed my folded sleeping pad inside along with other items, I jimmied and jammed my (3/8" neoprene) pads – I hadn't yet secured them with a cross stitch – up to the seams so tight they almost stuck out perpendicular to the pack before finally yielding to gravity and sort of hung down.

Why is this important? Because once I finished the pad buckles and got the pack on, I realized I had created a very rigid strap system. I got excited and quickly finished my hip belts using the same exact method. (Of course, once buckled up, both padding & fabric easily bend & conform.)

Well, you can guess what this little baby felt like – heaven! No stays, no compression straps (my pack is carefully measured so the bear can fits snug), yet there it was, barely any sway in a completely frameless pack weighing under 8oz.

So, yeah, in my particular case, the addition of a few ounces of padding actually turned out to be a key part of the frameless aspect, rather than just to offset weight on my shoulders & hips.

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Jerry, would you mind saying how yours were constructed then?

Just to clarify mine were constructed as follows.

Strap version 1: Cordura, 5mm foam, Silnylon, webbing (+ edge binding)
    Strap version 2: 3d mesh, Laminated Nylon, webbing

Neither have thick foam. I think version 2 is actually thicker as the foam in version 1 was so thin.

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

I agree straps doesn't necessarily need padding for load support/cushioning. But they get somewhat hard to handle and can deform, twisting and say for example when tightening the chest strap – if not very well made to fit ones body without the need for chest strap at all. Note one can punch holes in foam, as forces are very small in the centre of the object.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I also think that the main reason for the foam is structure, not padding. A light fabric strap 3" wide will roll up and thus not spread the weight over a large enough area for comfort. I use 1/4" EVA and I punch holes in it in hopes of having some breathability (I also use uncoated fabric). My guess is that the 1/4" foam is the lightest thing that will supply the structure to maintain the width and thus spread the load comfortably. These shoulder straps have been comfortable for me up to around 30 lb loads.
    Now if you are going SUL and your total pack weight is like 8 lbs, why not just use 1" grosgrain and be done? No weight, no need to spread it out.

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Yes the foam structure makes sense. Next time I use foam I'll punch some neat holes in it to lighten it and make it a bit more breathable.

In the meantime, I finished the second set of straps, the ones with mesh and nylon (no foam).

2fin

2findetail

These aren't for a SUL pack Paul so are probably a bit overbuilt. Quite happy with how they turned out though, they are a far cry from the first ones I made here

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Sam,

Those straps are quite a bit of alright! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Locale: SoCal

Sam,

Those straps are sweeeeet. I made my prototypes last week and your straps put mine to shame. I noticed you top stitched the perimeter. Is this a final step after everything is done to add strength? I had an issue with a side of the strap blowing out and I think this would help.

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

I don't have any problems making straps exactly. My problem is getting them to fit me. It's really hard to fit yourself perfectly for straps. I've tried some of the templates running around with no good results. I'm 5'8" and 220 pounds, and my myog persuit has resulted from the lack of packs that fit properly. I've made three packs for other people in my family. This was ejoyable, and now both my kids,wife etc. have custom fitted shoulder straps for their packs. Great! Now I'm trying on myself and its like trying to give myself a hair cut or something. Has anyone tried using a magic marker on an old teeshirt? Drawing the straps and cutting it out of the t-shirt, does anyone have a "system" for this? I'm getting a little frustrated. Any advice from the super elite ergonomics engineers please chime in.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Sam,

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Chris Zimmer's suggestion and the posts on this thread got me to try an experiment.

Ladder lock and bar tacked webbing

I decided to try a set of straps with VX21 XPAC material, 4mm foam mesh and no foam "padding" after seeing how well yours turned out.

Underside of strap with 4mm foam

They were sewn together wrong side out, turned right side out, top stitched around the edges and then had the Quest Outfitters #2029 lightweight webbing & ladder locks bar tacked into place. There are parallel bar tacks above the ladder locks and bar tacks every three inches thereafter.

Party On,

Newton

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

John,

Very nice!! The blue on black looks good. I found my machine was struggling to bar tack the webbing. However if I pressed down the mesh around it before I started to sew it got on a lot better.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"Jerry, would you mind saying how yours were constructed then?"

I think I'm less sophisticated than other suggestions, but

200D Nylon sewn into a sleeve. Insert 1/8th inch foam. Sew a couple seams through foam and 200D along the length. Sew 3/4 inch webbing to ladderlock on one end. Sew 200D to pack on the other end.

straps

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools