Topic

Best Multipurpose soap?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Multipurpose soap?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I know there's a lot of talk on here about dr bronners, but it seems to leave a lot of residue on me.
    Anyone have an alternative soap they recommend? (Something good for body, hair, and laundry.)

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

having formerly used dr.b's, never again…i experieced the same.
    i've found straight-up baking soda mixed w/ a dash (or two) of
    either eucalyptus and/or tea tree oil (both of which are known anti-bacterial agents; tea tree essential oil i tote anywho, as it's great for foot fungus and eucalyptus a renowned bug repellent). baking soda is actually great too for body and hair– experiement at home first. leaves a squeaky clean!
    bottom line: super cheap, entirely accessible and proven effectiveness.
    i use b.s. in the frontcountry on a regular basis– i add 1/4-1/2 cup or so to my
    gear laundry. helps minimize stench.
    perhaps too, consider a different brand– dr.woods
    http://www.iherb.com/Dr-Woods#p=1&sr=1
    (docs represent!)
    or clay-based soaps super good too, but burn a hole in your wallet!
    lt

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Baking soda can be an irritant because of it's PH.

I found out the hard way when I didn't thoroughly rinse.

I suspect as long as you carefully rinse and don't rub it in.

Also, I don't recommend using smelly stuff in th outdoors. Not just bears, most critters have a better sense of smell than humans. Stinging insects, raccoons, mice, etc… are attracted to smelly stuff.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We don't use a lot of soap, but when we do, it's a tiny bit of Dawn–the same stuff they use to get oil out of bird feathers after an oil spill. Very concentrated, one 3 oz bottle usually lasts us more than a year…

And we carry it in a tiny shampoo bottle I stole from a cheap hotel. grin

Ben F

@tekhna

Olive oil soap. It's hard to find good stuff in the US, but go to your local Arab grocery store and look around for olive oil soap. It might be called ghar (غار). It'll probably be from Nablus, Palestine, and it'll probably be pretty cheap. The best stuff is wonderful for your skin and mild enough for use on your hair, but even the cheap stuff works well enough. The very best comes from Syria, but you obviously can't get it in the US.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Why do you need soap? Boiling water and denatured alcohol provides all I need for sanitation.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

After years of using liquid soap, i have found that the Sea To Summit Pocket Soap Leaves are the best for me. I use half a sliver and it is more than enough for hand washing, pots, body wash or shampoo. Only weighs half an ounce and lasts forever.

http://www.rei.com/product/785913/sea-to-summit-pocket-hand-wash

M

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Don't use denatured alcohol on your skin. Read the label.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

@Ken

After several JP5 showers, handling of copper beryllium and many other toxic goodies in the Chem lab I find methanol a bit timid. It's primary danger is ingestion.

Quick bit of history — Common belief that moonshine can/could make you go blind comes from prohibition when bootleggers use to cut ethanol products with commercially available methanol. One -CH3 is the difference between going blind and having a good time :)

Brian Keith Gunter

@bkgunter

Locale: Midwest

You can get rid of the Bronner's "gunk" feel in your hair by applying a small amount of apple cider vinegar to your hair after washing. Let it sit in for a minute then rinse, or not. Its the cheapest cream rinse you can get and I think it helps the ph balance too.

My wife turned me on to this.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

as brian mentioned, yes, acv GREAT to offset the grease factor.
    operative word: SMALL.
    2nd OPERATIVE WORD: DILUTED.
    else it will dry your locks and the sun will fry them dead!

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA
    Chris Quinn
    BPL Member

@cquinn

Locale: North Queensland

I use the Sea to Summit Wilderness Wash for all of my soap and detergent needs when bushwalking – as shampoo, for dishwashing, laundry, the lot. I bought the 17oz (500ml) bottle, and decant into a smaller container. It works well, leaves no residue, and a little does go a long way.

CQ.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools