Topic

Colorado Trail 2012 Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Colorado Trail 2012 Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    P. Larson

@reacttocontact

It's in my profile.

Help me lose some weight. (The scale is on the way so I used weights that I found on websites).

*I know I can lose some weight with my sleeping bag but getting a new one isn't really possible at the moment. =(

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

Looks very light. A lexan spoon would be lighter than the titanium you listed. I don't see and rain gear for you legs (pants or skirt) or any type of long underwear. I might reconsider that decision. You could exchange the hooded Puff jacket w/ something lighter and add a sub-ounce knit cap and have a little more versatility for the same or less weight. I also don't see any gloves of any sort. If you use your spare socks as gloves, then you have not dry socks if you're caught in a cold rain (a near daily experience in Co).

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

When will you be hiking the trail? I took a WM summerlite with me (all of the down put on top) form july 12th to August 10th and was more than fine. Is there a chance that you can return your bag and swap it for a 30 degree bag? I have found that 30 degree bags serve a much better all around use than 15 degree bags.

Also one more thing to look into is swapping your pinnacle our for something WAY lighter. Its a great winter bag, but for what you have listed (unless you're carrying 10 days of food at a time) it seems to be a bit of an overkill. If you like the design, Jam's are on sale for $70 right now on golites website.

If you can clarify a little more on what you are willing to buy/sell and when you are hiking it will be easier for us to help you out. Good luck to you on your hike, its one amazing trail!

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Carl: I knew I forgot something on there. Definitely bringing a pair of Cap 2 bottoms. As for gloves and leg rain protection, I don't use them. My pants dry super fast and I've never had a problem after living in Colorado since 2005.

Allen: I'm leaving July 1. As for the sleeping bag, it's in the works. And in regards to the Pinnacle, I just bought it from GoLite on sale. Reason I bought a Pinnacle instead of a Jam is because when I backpack with my fiance, I carry all of the food. The longest stretch on the CT that I'll go between resupply is 7 days at the beginning.

Sucks that the 2 things I saw that I could save some weight on are the ones everyone else is seeing. And are the 2 things that are the hardest to replace.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

Ya i know how that it, and yes sadly those are the best 2 places to save weight. I think you will be ok with the setup you have in this case. There are ways to go lighter, but honestly if you're comfortable with the pack all packed up and on your back, don't worry about trying to cut more weight. Its all about being comfortable on the trail, and it seems like you are!

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I got a scale and a different (lighter) sleeping bag and trimmed up the Golite Pinnacle. Revised gear list coming this weekend.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

If you did anything creative to the Pinnacle I'd be interested in seeing how you did it.
    I think if the pack is comfortable and your baseweight is reasonable its not worth sweeting too much over a pound or two one way or the other. On average I'm guessling you'll have enought food and water to carry that one or two extra pounds in your baseweight won't affect your comfort much. When I was on the trail I started with about 9.5 pounds baseweight. Later I had to change a few things and endeud up with 10.5-11 pounds baseweight. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

You could save 12-13 oz if you switched from a filter to repackaged Aquamira drops. It's only about $11 for the treatment too. I just made the switch myself, and I'll be trying them out this spring.

Also, I didn't see any navigation equipment like compass/map or signaling devices like mirror/whistle. Those are all pretty light and inexpensive.

You don't have to worry about bears on the CT do you?

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

A very good list but you asked so here are my suggestions:

One option with your sleeping bag might be to trim off the zipper and other heavy parts and make a plenty warm quilt. Don't have a lot of personal experience with quilts but I know it can be done.

You could also make or buy a much lighter pack. Could you ditch the 1.0 oz stuff sack?

There are lighter options for a stove, like a super cat. Also lighter options like sawyer squeeze or aquamira for water purification. C

Could you bring gaiters instead of pants and wear long johns, shorts, gaiters?

Camera is optional too, right.

Good luck on the trip!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

@Clayton, the Suunto Watch has a compass I believe. I also second your filter idea. Most water on the CT is pretty clean from what I've heard (sediment free at least) so drops should be more than fine. Without even repackaging Aquamira the OP would still save 12 oz right there. Alternatively you could look a the aquamira filter which just screws on between your platy and the hose. It's only a couple ounces itself.

Looks like a new bag is in the works. If a 30dF bag works and you haven't settled on one yet you could look into a MYOG 5oz apex quilt. Run you under $100, easy to make for a beginner, good to roughly freezing, and under 30oz. Those two changes pretty much let you squeak into true UL categorization too!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools