Topic

Winter 5* Check Over

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Winter 5* Check Over

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Hoping maybe someone might look this over for me http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6256
    Forcasted to be 0-5* sunday morning in catskills my buddy changed plans last min due to the fact that they might get some light snow.. 15-20* is usually my cut off.. please let me know what you would change.. an this is by far my lightest ever for winter..

Doug

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

I would swap the platypus for a Nalgene or Gatorade bottle. I see the stove burns wood, but wouldn't rely on an alcohol stove at 5 degrees, use white gas. I wear my rain pants in camp so not sure if dry ducks are durable enough. I do not know about the Z rest but probably not as warm as a thicker ridgerest, should need R4-6. Looks like fleece layers with light down jacket, I think you you be hanging out in the quilt a lot unless you have a roaring fire. Can't believe it will all fit in a Jam, my Pinnacle is pretty crammed with winter gear.

Good Luck! Winter is amazing.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

That was an epic trip! Was nice and warm at night.. Conquered the Devil's Path!
    Note to all micro spikes suck! Terrible with decents and just barely ok with accents
    Other than that my gear list was solid night/early morning temps 3-7° F overnight winds 25-30 daytime temps 15-19° F with same windage maybe a bit less..

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Were your legs warm enough?

I usually think that during hiking my legs don't need much insulation, even in fairly cold weather, but once I stop moving I need every inch of loft I can get,

So, if I had packed a shell, and tights, my third item would have been some light high loft insulated pants, thinking that wearing the tights with or without the shell pants would be sufficient while hiking and having much more insulation when sleeping and being around camp?

How did you use this system?

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

That was a solid setup.. We had 20+ mph winds with single digits in the A.M.. 4-6'' of snow over night.. Stay warm day and night

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools