Topic

myog hammock material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear myog hammock material?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

I really want to take a go at making my own hammock but have no idea what fabric to use or where to get it. I am aiming for something really light. Any suggestions?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I would go with Ripstop, which comes in different weights. If you are doing a single layer, which I recommend, and depending on your weight, look for either a 1.5 or 1.7 weight.
    Your local fabric store may carry Ripstop; I really like Quest Outfitters for buying online.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Thanks kat. I'm about 175 so the tail end for 1.5 or should I go 1.7 to be safe?

Loren Baginski

@bags4266

http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=15

I used this material on mine, I weight 195. It has a nice feel too. Great guy if you have any questions

Wade Ford
    BPL Member

@cwford

Locale: NTX

At 175 you can probably do well with 1.1 oz nylon. Here is a good reference chart for personal weight vs material choice from a hammock mfr. If you plan on sleeping in your hammock you may want to make it a double layer so that you can put your sleeping pad between the layers.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking101.php

Lots of good info here on making your own hammock

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85

DIY Gear Supply has great materials and also some tutorials on making hammocks

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

You'll be fine with the 1.1. I weigh more and I do very well with it. I'm also 6'1'' and you don't need more than three yards (108") of fabric. Put a foot box on it and you'll have plenty of room and come out at around 6oz, maybe less :-)

And since this is a UL site look up how to make amsteel whoopies. They'll do you some good my entire setup including tarp (sans insulation) weighs less than 2lbs.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Thanks again. I just installe whoopies on my HH hyperlite today. Love them so far. After looking around the hammock forums I think I am going to make a Asym style gathered end hammock from 1.1 ripstop and them create a bug net with rock pockets that I saw there. Throw in some whoopie slings for suspension, an adjustable ridge line, and dutch clips for my webbing straps and I think I should have a sweet setup that is lighter then my HH hyperlite with the option of removing the netting and leaving it home.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools