Topic

New Sigma DP : DP1M & DP2M

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography New Sigma DP : DP1M & DP2M

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/08/Sigma_DP1M_DP2M_Merrill_Cameras

SD1 sensor in 19 equiv 28mm, or 30 equiv 45mm

Kai Larson
    BPL Member

@kailarson

Interesting.

I owned a DP1 for a while. Image quality was the best of any pocket camera I've owned (and I've owned pretty much all of the high-end pocket options.)

Ultimately, however, it was just a little too quirky. If they can make a new DP1 with even better image quality and make it just a little more user friendly to operate, I may be a buyer.

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

I wonder if Sigma really should add "Merrill" name. Kinda long for a camera model name. Also, if they are as slow as existing Sigma cameras, Merrill would have a bad connotation.

Peter James
    BPL Member

@pbjames

Locale: High Sierra

I think they'll likely just be known as the DP1M and DP2M. Depending on the price, these could be pretty swell. Unfortunately for Sigma, I think they're really being pinched on price by the likes of u43 and NEX, people aren't going to want to pay more for a camera without interchangeable lenses. These two have to be significantly cheaper than the Fuji X100, which has a number of advantages, ranging from the hybrid viewfinder, faster lens aperture, nicer appearence/built, retro appeal, more control points, etc. If Sigma prices them at $1k or higher, they will definitely fail miserably. Sub $700, though, might start to make some sense.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

The Foveon sensors are wonderful, but Sigma's going to need some serious economies of scale in order to get its prices in line with the likes of the Nex and micro 4/3 families, or a willingness to take on a loss leader to gain market share. I hope they pull it off.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools