Topic

Foraging/ Wild Edibles Books

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Foraging/ Wild Edibles Books

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Luke H.

@scraps111

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions for a book on foraging and edible plant identification? I live on the central coast of California, so I'm looking for something relevant to my location. Thanks.

The Cossack

@thecossack

Locale: sedona

stalking the wild asparagus

might as well get a hold of "stalking the blue eyed scallop" while you're at it

Nick C.
    BPL Member

@nixie

Samuel Thayer's books are also pretty good. I find them easier to use than Euell Gibbons since Thayer's books include lots of good photographs of the plant at different stages of development and similar looking species that may cause confusion.

For example his book "Nature's Garden" also includes a handy chart that states what percentage of the plants in the book are likely to be found in each state. For California it is 73%.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

See also "Northwest Foraging: The Classic Guide to Edible Plants of the Pacific Northwest" by Doug Benoliel.

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781594853661-1

This one is good and should have a lot of cross-over to plants in CA.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have: Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants. It covers a lot of California Plants and was written by Bradford Angier and it even covers sea weed on the Ca coast.

Luke H.

@scraps111

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Natures Garden looks like a good one to get. I want something comprehensive with plenty of pictures. I think I might go ahead and buy it.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I haven't read this yet, but it's supposed to be pretty good:

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West [Paperback]
    Gregory L. Tilford (Author)

Has photographs instead of illustrations, which I like. Also sometimes will tell you how to eat it. But there really aren't that many plants in the book that are actually edible.

Another really good one is Mushrooms Demystified. You probably didn't want to try mushrooms, but it's a really good book anyway in case you are a collector of field guides. Witty, funny and beautiful pictures and uses a keying system for identification.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools