Topic

2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2012 Murmurs back at Gossamer Gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

I just ordered one on looks alone.

very excited about the pack, however, can anyone tell me why i paid $12.11 for the shipping of a $140, 8oz item from austin texas to atlanta, ga?

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

Awesome I've been looking at one as well. When I ordered my gorilla from them shipping was about that. They use FedEx and its due to the size of the box used.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

at least it wasnt $49 for an express only option to canada…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

GG ships pretty quick. That is probably the cost to ship via USPS in a Priority Mail Box.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

GG. I know, shipping hurts. But it is for the little guy. -Everything or at least most things from Amazon ship for free if the order is $25 or more. So, if I need/want an item, it goes on my wish list until I can get to $25. And I digress.

Ryan Gabriel

@rgabriel

Locale: Bay Area

If it's any consolation, I received a box of Dr. Krackers (which I thoroughly enjoyed) neatly packed in the box along with my 2012 Murmur. I believe they used the cracker box to prevent any shifting during the delivery process. Worth the shipping? Yup! Since then, I bought two more boxes of that stuff (the crackers, not the murmurs).

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm so tempted.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Yea i paid about the same to for them to ship a 1.5oz 1/8 pad, a 1oz polycro grondsheet and a pack liner!!!! absolute bs.. I don't care what their excuse is. They could have put that in an envelope and put a stamp on it. shipping should never be more than 5-6

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

for comparison zpacks ships for 4 dollars domestic or 10 dollars internationally…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I have bought a lot of stuff from GG and many other cottage manufacturers. You know the shipping price before hand. If it is too much money, then don't buy it.

I have been very happy dealing with GG. If I need a small item, I wait and grab a couple other things when I need them to combine items for shipping, or buy more than one, such as pads. I don't want GG to fold and stuff a pad into an envelope. I want it in a box.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Nice pack. Don't worry about the shipping. They could always add another ten bucks and call it free shipping for over $70, I guess. Somebody has to pay for it somewhere…you eventually, it doesn't really matter, but you would have a real complaint if they lost one in shipping. At least this way they are covered and will ship you another if the post office looses one…

Yeah, the cracker were good. Great on the trail!

Loren Baginski

@bags4266

I bought the murmur when it was on sale. You are going to love this pack. Lots of room and mesh pockets swallow up alot. It can't handle my large section hikes but will be my go to in warmer months and shorter trips.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

"You know the shipping price before hand. If it is too much money, then don't buy it."
    Nick FTW! It does indeed say what you're paying before you finish the order.

I also can't stand shipping charges for really light and cheap items (I'm talking polycryo ground cloth), but you can always call the company and ask if they can stuff the pack into a small USPS flat rate box. I think they used to do that if you asked nicely, and it can't hurt to check.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

"at least it wasnt $49 for an express only option to canada…"

+1

GG's shipping options to Canada are ludicrous. Worse than BPL's were. It's cut my orders down to one ever.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just had a similar shipping cost experience with GG. I own 2 of their packs and wanted a few accessories (hip belt pockets and a pad). Their shipping cost was very high, $12.95 (Austin to Seattle) for a $36.95 order. I emailed GG and they told me they will only ship priority so they can track the package. Joe at Zpacks ships much cheaper using USPS 1st class that comes sans tracking. My last shipping charge from Joe was $3.95. I don't need the tracking and wish GG would give their customers a cheaper option. I really like GG's products but I won't subsidize their shipping preferences. The shipping cost killed my GG order. I am putting together a small order from Zpacks and will buy their hip belt pockets instead and cut down an old Zrest pad until I find the pad I want on the Gear Trade forum.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I really like GG's products but I won't subsidize their shipping preferences. The shipping cost killed my GG order."

Yes, I purchased several items from GG a few years ago, but then I saw the shipping expenses shooting up. That is the one single factor why I haven't purchased anything else from them since then.

–B.G.–

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

thanks for the discussion. i agree with most of you. if it was sent usps priority mail in a plastic bag, it would have cost $5.95 or less, and would have been delivered in 2 days most likely. and why not use the united states post office? gg puts a big "made in america" patch on some of their stuff, so you would think they would be all over it.

i hope that glen and team is reading…we love your packs, but the lack of shipping options puts a bad taste in many people's mouth…

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have seen this a lot lately. I was going to buy a pair of gloves and a Light My Fire Firesteel at one place and they wanted $12.65 for 8 ounces. I almost bought some of the Golite Tumalo pants at their website for a friend but it was $9.95 for shipping on 7oz. Don't even get me started on Patagonia when they don't have the $75+ free shipping. Personally I always use USPS because it is always a better deal even for Priority and I ask the businesses I buy from to use it when they ship to me. So now I just write a list of the few items I want and I will go through to find a business with decent prices that will ship free on at least $XX.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

" I almost bought some of the Golite Tumalo pants at their website for a friend but it was $9.95 for shipping on 7oz."

Wow you Americans have it rough. Last week I shipped an 8 gram (0.3oz) stuff sack to a fellow Canadian. Because it had a buckle, it couldn't be called a letter so it cost me $15 for that 'parcel'. Canada Post got rid of their small packet and slow parcel shipping options within Canada, so anything that's not a letter has to be sent as a 'expedited parcel' or worse. I could have sent the same stuff sack to an American for half as much.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

That same pair of pants in a Priority box would have cost ~$5 and I would have got it one to two days later instead of a week. Same for the others and the box is provided by USPS for free.

First Class would have even been less and maybe taken a day or two more.

Sorry to hear about all of that Dan.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Being in canada if a company doesnt ship USPS I dont buy from them. Between poor delivery center locations and ridiculos brokerage fees the couriers dont see my money.

Dan, when I ship within Canada i just put it in an 8.5 x 11 evelope and put two stamps on it and dont ask the post office if its okay. I have never had anything sent back when i have done that.

Glen Van Peski
    BPL Member

@gvanpeski

Locale: San Diego

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts on shipping costs. Not sure it will change anyone's mind, but just as a point of reference, Gossamer Gear spent $4,611 more on shipping than we charged for shipping last year. I know this is no consolation if you are a customer who ended up on the wrong side of that average. We ship many large value orders, and feel that insurance is an important protection in case something gets damaged in transit. The tracking not only protects us against unscrupulous customers, who aren't on this forum, but more importantly, allows us to respond to customer inquiries about the location of their package. Probably most readers of this forum understand dimensional charges, but things that are bulky but light incur shipping charges based on the package dimensions, not on the weight. Gossamer Gear loses money on every pad we ship for this reason.

I don't mention these data to answer everyone's comments. There's some good input here, and based on this, we will be revisiting our shipping policy in the near future. Thanks for being open and honest, we value that.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

GVP,
    Insightful and well stated, thanks.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks, Glen.

I assumed it was something along those lines. It might help if you had an option on ordering to opt out of the insurance and tracking for smaller purchases. Frankly, I know that shipping is often a major item considered (not counting security) for a lot of smaller items. It seems that most UL or SUL gear is always fairly light. So purchasing a set of mini droppers is probably just not feasable, by itself.

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

Some more options for shipping to Canada would be good. Having no choice but express shipping has kept me from buying from a lot of places. I wont pay $50 shipping on something that could be sent via First class for $5-10 unless it was extraordinarily expensive and demanded insurance. I don't need tracking, I'm not in a huge rush to get the parcel and I'm certainly not going to pay an extra $40 to insure a $150 item.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools