Topic

Ditching the stove and my new SUL gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Ditching the stove and my new SUL gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"You can also get the individual Nutella from. . . "

the American Airlines departure lounge at O'Hare for free.

Motel breakfast buffets and fast food restaurants are a good source of individual-sized condiments, creamer, sporks, etc.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Nutella is a bit messy when its warm but when its cold it hardens up. When that happened to me I'd already been out three weeks and I was starving. I just carved out chunks and ate them plain. It tasted GREAT at the time. Now I wonder how it would taste when I'm not so hungry.

a b

@ice-axe

I loved to lay a base of crushed fritos corn chips in my hard sided ziplock container. On top of that would go a thick layer of Nutella ,made soft by the afternoon heat. next would be a generous layer of peanut butter.
    Snap the lid on and shove the container into my food bag for the night.
    In the morning I would have a Frito, Nutella, and Peanut Butter Pie to eat for my mid morning break.
    The coolness of night makes the concoction reminiscent of those old "Spoon Candy" jello deserts where you have to break through a layer of hard chocolate to get to the pudding.
    (Much Salivating!)
    At any rate, the salt of the Fritos goes well with the coco flavor of the Nutella.
    The peanut butter provides the punch of protein.
    Yea, I still love Nutella after the trail.
    Hmmm.. could that be why my waistline has grown a wee bit?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Matthew that idea sounds great. I did think about making bars out of Nutella. The way it got soft always stopped me though. I did think about it as a cold weather snack since melting woudln't be such a problem.
    I also mixed peanut butter with my trailmix once. That was dense (and tasty).

a b

@ice-axe

@ Luke, Yea the Fritos on the bottom make the Nutella "release" from the bottom of the container a lot easier when it's cold.
    I love Nutella! Clearly the Canadians are more civilized than us… :)

P.S. I am green with envy that you are reading Skurka's new book!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

What Nutella is from Canada? Somehow thats seems appropriate. They have so much to put up with (Justin Beiber, snow in winter, bugs in summer, overly salted bacon, more Justin Bieber etc.). At least at the end of the day they can sit back and say "Well at least WE don't have Hanna Montana and we do have Nutella, life is good."

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Nutella is from Italy and was and still is far more popular in Europe than in North America.

a b

@ice-axe

Poor Italians, my jar of Nutella says Made in Canada.
    Eating some Nutella melted over a waffle this AM. YUM!
    Another great trail recipe for this stuff is a Nutella and cheddar cheese burrito using a flour tortilla.

gunther kirsch

@goonch92

Locale: Northern California

Cost plus world market is the be-all-end-all food destination… individully packaged heaven.. summer sausage galor, nutela, rice noodles, cheeses, chocolate, tea, EVERYTHING. and my local one is right next to REI hehe!

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools