Topic

sleeping pad as frame?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sleeping pad as frame?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

I am wondering how to use a sleeping pad to make a frame. I have a torso sized Gossamer Gear highlight Evzote pad that fits perfectly into my Jam2. Some of the gear reviews for this pad ,notably Dr.J's, state that it is not durable enough for this task. I recently ordered a 3/8" evazote thinlight pad by Gossamer Gear, but have not received it yet. I had planned on doing a cylinder type frame effect with it. What is the best type of pad to use for this purpose?

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I can't tell you what will work best, but I CAN tell you that a full-length Ridge Rest won't work worth a snot. It eats up so much pack space that you don't have any room left over for little things. You know, the luxuries like food and water.

Nothing important though ;)

Tom

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I have used the Nightlite torso for a frame in my FF Thompson Peak, and it has worked well. It provides a solid frame and while it wouldn't stand up for hundred and hundreds of miles, it would do the job for plenty of miles and for the majority of users. Mine is getting pretty worn, but it has seen a lot of use. Plus it is pretty cheap so replacing it is not a huge deal. I wouldn't abandon it as an idea unless you plan on taking a very big mile trip.

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

thanks, both of you, that's what I was hoping to hear Mattew. I'm glad to hear taht it wasn't shreded and torn after only a few uses.

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

I also use a GG NightLight as a frame for my MLD Prophet 30 pack (and also often rested on the "shelf" of my LuxuryLite external frame pack).

It has held up quite well. The MLD pack holds it in place with a bungee cord, and the cord has ripped into the pad a bit, but the wounds haven't progressed much it all in a year of use. I expect at least another year out of it.

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

I agree with Matthew, the GG pad should hold up just fine. One of my older systems was a combination Golite Jam and Thermarest Ridgerest cut in half (20"x36" after it was cut in half). The pad weighed 7 oz and was large enough to insulate my torso (shoulders to rear end), the pack was placed under my legs for inslulation. The pad could be further trimmed down to 6 oz by cutting off areas that your body does not cover.

With the half length pad placed into the pack in a cylinder type manner, there is plenty of room for gear and food. The pad when placed in the pack will make a very nice and study tube with almost no overlap (maybe 1/2" overlap at only the top 6" of the pack).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools