Topic

Camelback All Clear UV Purifier

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camelback All Clear UV Purifier

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just saw one of these at REI and was wondering if anyone has gotten a chance to use one?

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/830862/camelbak-all-clear-water-purifier-bottle

Looks really interesting and might solve any fragility problems with the Steripen. It does, however, only have a rechargeable non-replaceable battery.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Nice! At the very least it will give steripen some competition which should drive it to improve its product.

I don't like that it appears to only work with the bottle it comes with

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hey, how about that? I'd lost track of it since their prototype years back, which looked like a repackaged UV Aquastar. This one tucks the tube into the cap and is rechargeable only, with supposedly an 80-cycle capacity between charges.

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Purification/Faq/faq.aspx

Looks very promising.

Cheers,

Rick

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It's 1 lb 1 oz.

Steripen Opti is 3.6 oz. 1 pint soda bottle is 1.7 oz. I also have a seperate water treatment container 0.6 oz. Total 6 oz.

The Camelback weighs 11 oz more.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No experience whatsoever, but just initial impressions:

Pros — definitely makes it a lot easier to agitate water. No worries about spilling either — unlike stirring with a Steripen.

Con 1 — bulky — I can just imagine the size of the contraption needed to house this bulky cap plus protruding UV tube(s)!
    Con 2 – dislike built-in rechargeable batts — esp. one that can only be charged via USB. I don't always travel with a laptop…

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

The SteriPen Freedom is even lighter at 2.6 ounces and also rechargeable. To be fair it won't treat as much water per charge though, but you could bring a backup charge pack and cable and still come out ahead

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The works (cap) is 7 ounces.

Cheers,

Rick

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

…how great a product camelback could make if they'd toss out the old model that says they have to ship everything with a bottle, and just said "what's a better way to use a UV purifier with what we already sold them?"

This product seems like a non-starter to me. This is what happens when product managers start off by asking themselves the wrong question.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"The works (cap) is 7 ounces."

Now we just need to see how bulky the protective case is. Methinks they should have the UV cap double as normal cap — maybe with an opening for easy sipping! One less cap to carry and much less worries about protecting the UV cap and tube separately. Anyone got pics?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There wasn't a sample unit out to see at REI or I would have taken a few pics. The packaging seemed a little large and heavy, but that doesn't mean much.

The total weight COULD include the (a) extra standard Camelbak cap that is included and (b) a zippered case for the UV unit. I don't know if that is true, though.

This could be paired with a Nalgene canteen bladder to save weight (http://www.campsaver.com/wide-mouth-canteens). The liter-sized bladder is still around 1-2 oz, so you could get the total weight to around 9 oz +/-. There are also lighter Nalgene and even Camelbak caps, too.

It's always interesting to see a new product that might push the market, as mentioned above. I do like that the UV bulb is circular and imbedded within the cap. The label says that it will work in cold water. I think the biggest downside for me is the reliance on the USB-rechargeable li-ion battery, although I guess there are places where a reliable solar charger would work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools