Topic

Packing my MLD Newt for a SUL trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Packing my MLD Newt for a SUL trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I have an older style MLD Newt with no external pockets. I am hoping to use this for a semi-SUL trip (1 night) this coming spring (on Good Friday) and I am trying to figure out a couple things. I would love to hear some comments on the following:

1. For day hikes I usually use a platypus hoser in my pack. But for this trip I am going to carry my water on my shoulder straps to free up room in my pack. I was thinking of doing 2 1L bottles (maybe smaller). Never done this before since I usually do overnight trips with my MLD Exodus and use my side external pockets.

2. I would love to have an outside mesh pocket (I might sew on one but will probably leave the pack as-is) but right now I only have an external bungee on the front of the pack. I was going to strap down my waterproofs here. What else can I get away with lashing on the front of the pack? Tarp (Should I be worried about punctures or abrasion)? Bivy?

3. I am toying with the idea of some removable pocket for extra space – Example 1 and example 2.

Thanks for your help.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello

I use two water bottles attached with MLD bungee cord on straps. Gossamer Gear nightlight pad fits under rear bungee. This frees up interior space.My cuben poncho/tarp can go inside or out. I really like the newt.

Jim

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I've done water bottles on my shoulders before. I found that I was comfortable carrying a 20oz bottle of water on each shoulder, but the 1Qt bottles where just a bit too big. I normally use the powerade bottles if that matters. Depending on where you hike, going SUL is a great way to simply carry less water, so this may work for you.

I've put a tarp out the outside of my pack using lashing plenty of times, and I haven't really had a problem with it

As for a removable pockets, I would think about doing something like Example 1 as the easiest. If I were doing it, I would just make a channel at the bottom and string some drawcord through it. Tie the drawcord to the two bottom lashing loops. Then, making a channel at the top and put some shockcord through that. Tie the shockcord to the top two loops. This way the top opens up, but not the bottom.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'd go with the Z-Packs chest pack and rig it to attatch to your pack's Lower shoulder straps (the webbing parts) with a quick release buckle on one side and 2 vertical-to-horizontal slider buckles (at REI).

The slider buckles go on the shoulder strap webbing. Only one QR buckle is needed on whichever side you like. (Look at a Dana Designs Rib or Wet Rib front pocket to get the ides.)

Attatch the "male" end of the QR buckle to the slider with a short piece of webbing from the Z-Pack. You'll have to sew the webbing once the half of the buckle is on.

Carrying some weight here balances your pack better AND fast access to things is SO much easier. I have a Dana Wet Rib (it has a water bottle sleeve on the left end of the pocket.) This is great for electrolyte drinks. A Camelbak hydration system rides inside my pack.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools