Topic

new hanger introduction

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping new hanger introduction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

Hi everyone. I'm just converting over from to hammocks and wanted to get some input.
    U ordered a HH hyperlite and will be doing a whoopie sling conversion on it tommorow. I found some good vids on doing this. Is it as easy as it looks?

I'm doing my first hanging trip next weekend at Henry coe state park. Any advice? If I get it in time ill be using a jacks r better nest under quilt w my 20 degree go lite quilt. Otherwise ill have to use HH bubble pad an my golite.

got my whole kit down to 7.25 lb base weight. ill post my full gear list when i get off work tonifht.

thanks for the advicea!

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Welcome Justin!

I converted my hyperlite to a ring buckle setup and haven't done the whoopie sling so I can't comment on that.

In my experience the underside insulation is more important than the top side insulation. The best way to determine what works is to get out and hang and it sounds like you are doing that. I have found quilts are certainly more convenient in a hammock than a bag, especially with the HH's.

If you are like me, you will sleep much better in a hammock than on the ground. I don't know what the geological condition is called, but the ground is harder now than it was 40 years ago. :)

Let us know how it goes.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Will do. Thanks for the encouragement. Never have been comfortable on the ground as a side sleeper. I decided to use carabiners . After 15 and in the dark I figured I'd take the extra weight for simplicity.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

yea, the whoopie conversion is as easy as it looks, possibly easier depending on your comfort level of modifying your gear. I found it much easier than I thought it was going to be.

I have the same hammock, along with a warbonnet traveler for winter duty.

I've only taken the the HH SuperSystem down to ~32F, my bottom side was chilly, I would def. suggest a mylar or other similar reflective heat barrier at that temp. I also have the GoLite 20F UQ. The SuperSystem is supposedly a VBL as well, so make sure the sides of the bottom overlap the top sheet along the sides.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Anyone use one of these? I definitely want to upgrade HH standard tarp. I am looking at this one and Hammock Gears 4 season cat cup with doors. Any others I should look at? Pro's Con's?

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

The HMG is way too heavy and doesn't have doors.

I'm going between the HammockGear one and the
    Zpacks one, which can also be had sans-doors. Once I have the $300 to spend…

Make sure the ridgeline is taped, sewed as well is ok too, but taped is best for both strength and waterproofing. If you want extra space inside go for the panel pull/tie outs, the let you adjust the shape better which can be nice in rain and stuff since it gives you more room inside the tarp.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

You make a good point about the doors. I thought the HMG was 8 oz and the hammock gear is 6.5 Not too big a difference for me. Looks like the HMG pitches a lot tighter also. I am more worried about wind then rain but I might follow your lead and go with the hammock gear one.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

yea, but the HMG doesn't have doors AND is that much heavier.

It looks like HMG is using a much heavier cuben material for some reason, or their tie outs weigh a lot more.

pitches a lot tighter? I don't see how you can tell something like this from a few random photos in different scenarios. All three are Cat cut so there won't be any difference when tied out the same.

As well, if your worried about wind, the doors will help a lot.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

You make a good point. Sounds like the hammock gear will be it.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

I bought 50 ft of dyneema and made my own whoopie slings and adjustable ridgeline really easily. Took me just an hour. It's easier if you buy a bury tool but there are lots of videos on how to do it without.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Nice. Ive been wanting to do that but do not know where to get the dyneema for the lighter version. All I have found is the armsteel.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1805222

Is the best place for the best price I've found.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

yea, I ordered my pre-made whoopie's from AHE, as well as my toggles and some other stuff. Excellent store.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Nice store. I bought the ones for my HH from Opie at Whoopieslings.com

Question: Why does everyone carry toggles? I was planning on just using some little pieces of stick from the ground. A little less weight in the pack :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Some people keep their toggles attached to their suspension. A little more insurance with the toggles.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

sticks won't really be strong enough, thouugh I guess it depends on how thick the ones you find are. toggles weigh very little, prbly ~1oz for the two (I have not weighed mine yet), and are obviously more than strong enough for the application, I'd rather carry that little bit of weight as insurance against finding myself slamming onto the floor in the middle of the night…

I do, however use sticks for my tie outs.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

~Finger-sized sticks are plenty strong for toggles. When you are using whoopies with a marlin hitched toggle on your tree straps, the whoopies go on the STRAP, not the toggle. The toggle is a placeholder of sorts. If done this way, the toggle bears minimal weight.

Though slightly heavier, I prefer Elephant Trunks for ease and convenience. Dutch Buckles perform a similar function and rid you of the marlin hitch/toggle.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

thats true, the toggle/stick is not load bearing, I guess anything that would prevent the whoopie from sliding is all that is needed. that said, I just weighed my AHE toggles, 5g each.

that dutch buckle is pretty awesome, they weight 4g more each, but that's with the retention shock cord, which if was removed may drop it down a few g. I just posted a comment to see what that weight is, but I think it may be worth the extra 8 grams just for the added ease of setup.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

I've been thinking about dutch buckles but have so far had good luck with the marlinspike hitch and some piece of stick. I need to find some Dutch Clips to replace my climbing carabiners. Is JAck's R Better the only place that carries these anymore?

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I cut off these pieces of bamboo. 3g.

toggle

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

When using toggles with Whoopie Slings keep in mind that the toggle is holding the knot in place and IS NOT bearing the weight of the hammock. I also bought my toggles from AHE – they're basically cut pieces of arrow shaft and would fold in half quickly if I put the loop of my whoopie sling over them.

You certainly could use a stick or other piece of wood for this purpose, but I keep my toggles attached to my tree straps and thus they're always just where I need them.

Eric Braun

@dukedante

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

I looked there and dutch clips were the only product I didn't see. Ended up ordering them from JRB

Johnny Duke

@jd1987

I cut my own toggles from aluminum arrow shafts that weigh .1oz for the pair. I've also used sticks to hold a Marlin spike hitch (MSH) which works fine if done correctly. The toggle doesn't have to hold weight but it does have to hold the knot. I use amsteel huggers and if I don't snug the MSH tightly on the toggles, then when I get in the hammock the toggle will break – so watch out.

Also whoopies are super easy and provide great adjustability. I recommend them.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools