Topic

Laser Cutting fabrics?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Laser Cutting fabrics?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Hey, I just thought I would put this out there, but is there any interest in having fabrics/plastic parts cut on a small-bed (2' x 4') laser cutter? I also have access to a 3D printer, but is this of interest to the DIY UL community?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Can this laser cutter handle metal foils (titanium)?

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

it can but the problem is reflectivity. A waterjet might be better for that, esp if it has any thickness.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

This foil is 0.003" thick CP4 titanium, and a waterjet will just mangle it. It gives a very rough, wavy, and grossly serrated edge. Others have tried that already with the same foil.

I've spoken to several companies about laser cutting this foil, and they all said that reflectivity should not be a significant problem. Laser cutting much more reflective foils is done routinely. But the cost is rather high and imobilization of the springy foil on the cutting table can be problematic (it wants to curl). For these reasons, it seems to me that chemical etching is a better way to go, but I would reconsider laser cutting if it were affordable and I had a contact who was willing to be creative about imobilizing the foil on the table.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I think I'm going to stay away from reflective surfaces for now, and I'd also be concerned about offgassing, any luck with a sacrificial backing?

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

I've thought about the sacrificial backing idea, but I haven't attempted it. I have yet to obtain a laser cutting quote that is as affordable as chemical etching.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I had a local sheet metal fab shop attempt to cut some .004" thick blue tempered shim stock for a work project and the problem was with holding the material securely. The laser has a focus point, and on thick materials it's somewhere below the top surface of the material. The gas flow would cause the thin material to flutter on the table, and because the material is so thin, it would bounce significantly above and below that focus point causing a really ragged edge with lots of dross. A sacrificial backing of some sort might help, as would better work holding and sticking to small parts with dedicated fixtures, but in the end it's just a pain.

BM

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Thanks. It is helpful to hear about a first-hand experience with a similar material.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> creative about imobilizing the foil on the table.
    Fine hole pitch vaccuum table. Standard.

Cheers

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

>> creative about imobilizing the foil on the table.
    >Fine hole pitch vaccuum table. Standard.

>Cheers

But the laser would destroy the vacuum table. Ideally, when laser cutting, you want open air behind the work to prevent the spray of sparks from bouncing back up. Makes a mess of the work and the laser nozzle.

BM

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Ideally, when laser cutting, you want open air behind the work
    Oh, I agree of course, but sometimes that doesn't work.

A short focal length and large aperture to get a short depth of focus, a good air blast over the replaceable cover window, and regular maintenance. With foil you can run at much lower power settings and/or much higher surface speeds too.

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools