Topic

montbell frostline vs montane north star?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion montbell frostline vs montane north star?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kevin lanier

@kelanier

Hi,
    so i am a new member of BPL despite reading the forums for years. Quick question, I own the montbell frost line and montane north star. The north star is simply the cats meow of jackets-honestly. the north star has 7 ounces of down. The frost line has 6 ounces of down (baffled) but weighs over 6 ounces more..

So, the question is, ultimately which is warmer? I know, people are thinking I should know which is warmer because I own both. But I dont because I assumed the montbell would be warmer because of the loft and greater weight. Consequently I only used the montbell on shorter ice climbing trips/mountaineering trips when brutal temps were anticipated and I used the north star when the temps were a bit warmer and cutting weight was essential. Im thinking about selling my montbell if anyone is interested in a medium.

I understand that you can compress down up to 2.5x and still retain the downs normal insulating propeties. So does the montane just compress the down more but still retain the full warmth?

Any thoughts from Richard Nisley and others?

Also, any thoughts of the new Mountain hardwear Nilas vs montbell premafrost? I called Mountain hardwear and they reported the the Nilas has roughly 7.5 ounces of fill while the permafrost has 9-but the nilas uses 850 down vs 800.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Never mind

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools