Topic

Zion National Park in May?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Zion National Park in May?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brett Valentine
    Spectator

@bvalentine002

I am planning a trip to Zion in late May (5/21 – 25). I've got the route picked (Lee Pass to the Valley over 3 days/ 2 nights), and the travel logistics. I've read a bunch of trip reports and websites. But there are a few things I'd like input on:

1. What can I realistically expecct the weather to be like?
    – Temperatures in the high plateaus vs. in the valley
    – Precipitation?

2. Any mosquitoes, snakes, spiders, chipmonks, racoons or other critters I should be aware of?
    – Need to hang food?
    – Is sleeping out under the stars OK, or will the critters pose a problem?

3. How dry will it be? I realize it's dependent on snowpack andd this is a dry year, but how much difficulty will we have?

4. I have heard the water in Hop Valley is pretty rank from all the cattle. I will filter, but do I need to cover the taste?

Thank you!
    Brett

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Here is what I know.

In May in 2007 it was cool in the morning and heating up to the 90s in the day lower down. It is usually into the upper 70s I think.

No rain for the week we were there. Higher up was cooler by a bit.

I had no issues with mosquitos. It was pretty dry. At the time we only did dayhikes so the other stuff I can't help you with.

Don Morris

@hikermor

Spring in that country can be wildly variable. I have seen everything from snow to 100 degree weather during May in northern Arizona. Pay close attention to the weather report and prepare to adjust to variable conditions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools