Topic

UL Pull Saw project

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL Pull Saw project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Many of you may have admired or even ordered a cathole trowel or Little Buck saw from me. Here's an experiment stimulated by learning about pull saws, which began with some posts on my Little Buck saw thread (see Gear Deals if interested).

I went to my local Home Depot and bought a pull saw that had a blade that could be removed just by clicking a button in the rather heavy handle. The blade alone was only 0.65 ounces. Having some titanium sheeting around that I use for my trowels, I was able to make and mate a handle extension to the blade, then reinforce this with a small piece of titanium on both sides of the mating, all bonded together with JB Weld. I then padded the handle with some foam pipe insulation and Leukotape. Here's the final product of the experiment, a 35 gram saw with 7.5" of cutting teeth, together with a 3 gram tyvek scabbard. In testing the saw, it is not as fast or efficient as the Little Buck, but it can handle 2.5-3.0 inch dry logs as long as you are not in a big hurry. Cuts are very smooth. I have not tested on green limbs; it may have clogging issues as teeth are fine.

pullsaw

I'm very enamored of my Little Buck 2G saw, and would bring it if I anticipated needing or using a saw on a particular outing. However, this saw is light enough that it will probably go with me when I "might" want a saw, but probably won't.

"Keep it light" . . . QiWiz

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

Interesting!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Robert: That's a nice intermediate option. Not as capable but lighter than the Light Buck. Twice my 14-gram, chopped-up band-saw blade, but much smoother cutting, I'm sure. Especially in an area with very dry branches like mine. -David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools