Topic

Sub 10oz/280g backpack recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Sub 10oz/280g backpack recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I have the REI Stuff Travel Pack and it is an awesome deal. 22 liters, 10 oz, $30 and made of tough material. For once REI didn't over-engineer a product. Simple shoulder straps, no hip belt (doesn't need one), and two outside pockets for a water bottle and snacks. Really a very cool product. Not cubin but not expensive either.

Mike Schasch
    BPL Member

@mschasch

Hmm interesting. How much weight do you think it'd lose if the lid was cut off? Have any idea if the cubic inches includes the top loader? Think I might butcher one this weekend.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I just took a look at my REI Stuff Travel Pack and the lid pocket is small so I don't think it figures much into the 22 litres but it is sewn in there pretty good. The cinch top works well so the lid isn't very important to the overall pack features.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

I got an REI Stuff Travel Pack on sale and really wanted to like it, but it didn't work for me and I ended up returning it after trying it on a couple day hikes. The mesh side pockets are flat with no pleats or bellows, so when you put water bottles in them (especially wide ones like Gatorade, which I use) they really cut into the interior volume of the pack. I found the shoulder straps very uncomfortable, and I've used minimally padded straps before–they have a built in handle connecting them which lowers the bag on your back and, for me, had the buckles cutting into the front of my shoulders. Obviously fit is a very personal issue and YMMV. Also, unlike something like the Ion, the pack is not tall enough to accept a torso pad as a frame (which it really needs unless it is stuffed completely full) so I ended up using either a stiff plastic placemat or a CCF gardener's kneeling pad to provide structure, which brought up the weight.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools