Topic

Atmos 65 Pack. Mods?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Atmos 65 Pack. Mods?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Ok, I haven't got much use out of this thing, and before I just return it to REI (was 200 freaking bucks!) I want to know if there is anything that others have done to make this or similar packs more versatile/ more UL. I'm making my own pack now but unless it's a hammock I don't trust my sewing skills too far so I'd like to have this well constructed pack (and less likely than mine to fall apart) in a lighter form.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

return it

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I'd return it and browse the gear swap forum for a used ULA Circuit or OHM which will carry about the same load but weigh a lot less. Other great options are a Gossamer Gear Gorilla or Mariposa, and the Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus or Prophet.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Addison,
    Here are a few question you need to ask yourself about your type of backpacking before you return the osprey atmos 65 pack about your backpacking needs and comfort. The atmos weighs 3 lbs 9oz.

#1 Do you like a comfortable pack that keeps your back dry like atmos 65 was designed for maximum ventilation. Verses a UL pack that fits close to your back and you get a very sweaty back. not a comfortable carry at heavy weights?

#2 Will you now or in the future be carrying bear cans or lots of water or a pack load over 35 lbs. of weight or going out on extended unsupported backpacking trips in the future?

#3 Are you willing to carry a pack that weighs 37 oz more than the run of the mill UL pack for end of day comfort that your Atmos 65 will give you?

#4 Do you have the money to purchase a smaller pack for weekend trips?

I would keep the pack you paid $167.00 or less if you bought it at Rei you always have the option to return the pack anytime even after heavy use in your life time at Rei long as not modified.

I am finding in my experiences at age 50 it better to have some sort of framed pack in your backpack arsenal for heavy packing trips for a comfortable load carrying experiences at the end of the day.
    Terry

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

I appreciate the input. I think I'm gonna put a few more miles under my belt with it. If I don't like it the next time I go somewhere with an REI (live in South Georgia, closest store 400 miles away in Atlanta) I'll return and find a better use of the cash.

I know the actual company Osprey has a no bull return policy too.

I don't need a receipt to return it do I? How will they know I actually bought it at REI?

Hopefully my MYOG Pack will go well and solve all this.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Addison,
    If your a REI member used your member card for the purchase REI has a virtual list of everything you purchased. So you will not need the receipt if you did not use a member card find the receipt or if you lost the receipt. You used a credit card get a copy of your bill with the purchase on it and that may work for the exchange.
    Osprey Iron clad Guarantee only works for repairs or replacement of the of the same model of pack or if they don't make that pack model anymore they will replace it with a similar pack.
    Terry

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Good luck on the MYOG pack. I'm finishing up a guide for the latest one I made today hopefully. I like the MYOG packs so much more than anything I ever bought.

As for returning to REI, like Terry said, if you are a member, they will have the purchase saved. It doesn't matter if you aren't a member though. I know my buddy has returned items (using the mail return, not in store) to REI without a receipt before. In fact, I think he accidentally returned something he didn't buy there once. However, if you don't have a receipt of some kind, they will only give you store credit. The bank statement may work, but I'm not positive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools