Topic

Anyone using the Locus Gear carbon fiber trekking poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone using the Locus Gear carbon fiber trekking poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

http://locusgear.com/products/trekking-pole/cp2

They look nice, are pretty light, compactable, and don't cost a small fortune. Shipping might be a bugger though. Hopefully I'll know soon enough as I emailed for a shipping quote.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I have the older version. They're light and well made, but the connection between the two sections is too wobbly for use as a shelter pole. I'm not sure if version 2.0 has fixed that problem or not. You should ask Jotaro about that.

Shipping from Japan is not very expensive. It should be quite reasonable. (considering that for UL gear… most of which is made in the States… most people outside the US have to pay quite high shipping prices, I think it's rather reasonable)

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Miguel. Question though. You refer to the "connection between the two sections" as too wobbly. Does that mean your older version is a two piece pole?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Oops, I meant three sections! the wobbly part is on the upper, bigger connection point.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Jotaro replied to my shipping inquiry. $20, insured with tracking number. Not bad at all!

I asked if the poles were strong enough for a shelter but have yet to hear back.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Is my math right—$157 plus shipping?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Is my math right—$157 plus shipping?

Yep. You have to take into account how badly the dollar is doing right now. It used to be $120 just two years ago!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"Yep. You have to take into account how badly the dollar is doing right now. It used to be $120 just two years ago!"

A weak dollar is probably more good than bad at this point…unless you're buying foreign made gear!

Ryan

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Jotaro replied to my question re their strength for using them in shelters. He said they are tested with Locus Gear shelters and they are fine.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

I put up a couple of pics on my blog if anyone is interested:

http://hiking26.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/collapsed-unmodified-pole-below-aresome.html

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Thanks, Jeremy. Keep us posted!

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

I now have a good bit of wear and tear on these poles (140 hard km's).

Positives:

– Have not broken yet – I put them through tough conditions
    – Do not slip nearly as often as Ti Goat poles (at least the 2011 model of them). Only slipped 2-3 times on a very tough 9 day hike
    – They seem strong, are comfy and are light

Negatives:

– One tip has already fallen off, the other is loose and will soon fall out
    – Need to be very tight not to slip
    – Very hard to loosen. Sometimes took me 5 mins and I could imagine some people could not loosen them at all. I probably couldn't loosen them if they are icy or slippery

Summary – I would like these poles much much more if they had flick locks or something similar. Besides this and the issues with the tips, they are really nice poles. I still much prefer these to very light weight poles – but would consider something else that is light but with flick locks. Does something like this exist??

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jeremy, not everything you are looking for ,but light and flick lock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyE6hWJ5dBI

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4061429

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Hi Anna,

Thanks a bunch for the update. Those poles looks excellent. If only they made them in a three piece model!

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Looks like Locus just came out with new versions, including a flip lock. Real competition for Gossamer Gear LTs?

http://locusgear.com/products/trekking-pole/cp2

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Looks like Locus just came out with new versions, including a flip lock. Real competition for Gossamer Gear LTs?"

I was unable to decipher the order page on their website. How does one go about ordering a set of these very attractive poles? HELP!!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Jotaro Yoshida speaks very good English. Just email him. He'll be more than glad to help.

I use these poles. Though they are heavier than the GG poles, they are also considerably stronger.I use them over the GG's mainly because they can collapse to a much shorter length and thereby are safer and more convenient on the crowded trains.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The specs on the new flick lock CP2's look perfect. 10.8oz for a set which gets you flick locks and increased stiffness of the LT4's. I'd love to try some.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

And $145.50 in US dollars, is that correct?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Jotaro Yoshida speaks very good English. Just email him. He'll be more than glad to help."

Thanks, Miguel.

"I use these poles. Though they are heavier than the GG poles, they are also considerably stronger.I use them over the GG's mainly because they can collapse to a much shorter length and thereby are safer and more convenient on the crowded trains."

I don't worry about crowded trains, but for the shorter length, extra strength, and bombproof locking mechanism, I 'll gladly eat the extra 2 ounces or so. This sounds to me like the answer to a lot of dreams. Now, if the Yen would just take a dive…… ;0)

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Anyone try these new flick lock poles yet?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools