Topic

pole shock cord alternative

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pole shock cord alternative

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Most tent poles use elastic shock cord to quickly and easily connect the poles when erecting a tent. Here's an alternative using kite line and a couple of kite/archery fittings. It is a little difficult to understand how things work if you don't have it in your hands.

here

here

The fittings are called stubby nocks and are shown here:

here

Explanation
    The photo above showing an assembled pole with a string attached like a violin bow gives you an idea how the stubby nock might be typically used. It isn't how I'm using it, however. I run the string inside the pole. This photo might help.

here

I've modified the nock by drilling a hole down its center. This allows the string to be placed inside the tent pole. The hole down the center of the nock is large enough to allow the knotted string to pass through it. When the string's knot is jammed into the smaller side slot/hole of the nock, however, it holds tight.

Why Do This
    This method allows the poles to be pulled together very tightly. There is no risk that an elastic shock cord will allow the poles to come slightly apart while assembling the tent. This prevents breaks at the ferrels and also allows one to pull (instead of push) poles through pole sleeves without fear that they will come apart.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Not bad. And you might save weight by using very light spectra cord. Also, no danger of accidentally letting the poles snap together, thus doing damage to the end of a carbon tube.

But I've never had shock cord fail on me in the field. Probably because my poles are built to allow easy field repair – so it is no problem replacing the shock cord every couple of years or so at home. I did buy an old model Helsport Stetind 1 where the shock cord had already lost most of its elasticity and had to be replaced. Sold the tent before ever using it.

I use the 3/32" cord, with enough tension just to firmly hold the poles together. As they are field repairable, it would be easy to tighten the cord in the field if it starts to lose tension, but have never had to do that.

By field reparable, I mean leaving the insert at one end of the pole unglued, just a good press fit, but easily removable with a mini-plier.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> When the string's knot is jammed into the smaller side slot/hole of the nock,
    > however, it holds tight.
    Clever!

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools