Topic

Using weight gainer powder on the trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Using weight gainer powder on the trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

Wondering if anyone has used products such as Muscletech Mass-Tech Powder, Cookies & Cream http://www.amazon.com/Muscletech-Mass-Tech-Powder-Cookies-Pounds/dp/B002W1PWLC/ref=pd_sim_hpc_4
    as a supplement for meals. What would be the drawbacks of using something like this?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

They use crap sources for carbohydrates. They probably use maltodextrin for their sugar, and claim it's a complex carbohydrate, but its glycemic index is just as bad as any sucrose.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have always had a mental aversion to eating chemicals. Even the additives to food don't thrill me, which is why I have switched to a Paleo diet. The conundrum now is to find the right mix of foods that won't be excessively heavy when hiking, and a dehydrator seems to be a huge part of the solution to this dilemma.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"They use crap sources for carbohydrates. They probably use maltodextrin for their sugar, and claim it's a complex carbohydrate, but its glycemic index is just as bad as any sucrose."

Leaftye thinks Maltodextrin is bad. A large percentage of endurance athletes thinks it's good. You make the call. I trust the folks that can walk the walk or run the run or ride the ride.

Here's my take on this product. If you are looking for something to take during your hiking hours then I would look elsewhere. (Look at the ingredients in a product such as Hammer Perpetuem.) The product you listed has too high a ratio of protein to carbs for efficient hiking. Also, the 880 calories per 8 oz. is on the low end of the calories/oz range due to virtually no fat which is twice as calorie dense as proteins or carbohydrates.

Now, if you are looking to use this at the end of the day for recovery then this may be a good possibility in combination with the carbs in other food to recharge your system. Bottom line, IMHO, primarily carbs to hike, protein for recovery.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

I've used Hammer on all my long hikes 15-25mi days!

Nice to fuel & liquid from same bottle. Sustained Energy for the shorter 10-15mi, and Perpetuem for the longest outings.

I leave the 'real food' for after. Directly at car, I use Recoverite for the first few hours, then eat real food.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Leaftye thinks Maltodextrin is bad. A large percentage of endurance athletes thinks it's good. You make the call. I trust the folks that can walk the walk or run the run or ride the ride."

+1

"Bottom line, IMHO, primarily carbs to hike, protein for recovery."

+100 You don't want to divert blood from the working muscles to digest complex molecules like proteins or fats while you're on the move. Carbs, including maltodextrin and other high G.I. carbs pass thru the stomach and small intestine walls very quickly to enter the bloodstream and get to the working muscles in a very short time. Save the vast majority of your fats and proteins for your evening meal and secondarily breakfast, IMO/IME. An added benefit of eating protein and fat at the end of the day is that the high amount of heat produced in digesting them will help keep you warm while you're sleeping.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

i recommend hemp, salba or chia seeds.
    all are sound protein sources, nutritionally armed and
    easily added to foods.
    all add a nice texture( think: nutty type crunch) to bland camp foods.
    lt

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Hey, if you guys like eating simple sugars and paying a premium for a brand name, then go for it. If I want to eat junk, I'm certainly not going to pay as much as you guys.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"Hey, if you guys like eating simple sugars and paying a premium for a brand name, then go for it. If I want to eat junk, I'm certainly not going to pay as much as you guys."

I make my own mix for about $2.50/lb including electrolytes and flavoring. That is about $.42 for a 300 calorie serving.

And 80lbs. of this mix took me the whole way to Canada, along with other food of coarse. How did your EFA and OatMuscle diet work out for you?

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I use Palatinose and instant oats (milled so fine they dissolve); they work really well for me as they just go in with water and 'top me up' all day. These are largely carb-based though….I'm not looking for protein (just add a little for recovery).

Only started doing this in the last few years as I have a throat problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Hey, if you guys like eating simple sugars and paying a premium for a brand name, then go for it."

Simple food for simple people, Eugene. It's part of simplifying one's life. Oh, and I second Greg's question: How DID your EFA and Oatmuscle work out for you? And how much did it cost?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools