Topic

lightweight eye mask?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightweight eye mask?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Amy Bithiah

@plantedbystreams

What's a good lightweight eye mask, or something that covers your eyes from the light when you're asleep?

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I'm thinking an 1/8 inch ccf pad with a bit of shock cord that is just big enough to double as a sit pad… even the shape is correct.

Or maybe this isn't quite the forum to ask on :P

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I use my Buff.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Towels and eye masks oh my. This is BPL after all. I use my eyelids. If it's light I should be moving.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

I typically would use my beanie hat, just pull it down over my eyes. I often use this while traveling on buses and trains and looking to catch some shut eye. More important to sleep on the trail is often a set of ear plugs or even better multi use, head phone plugs, the kind that goes into your ear like an ear plug. It can really help cut down on the wood being chopped and helicopters flying overhead ;)

Ken
    Yea when I am hiking trip if it is morning and light out I am hiking but a mid afternoon nap on the trail can be uber wunderbar!

Sometimes I just use my bandanna fold up a couple of times and pressed into my sockets to seal out the light. Thats if its clean enough to go there.

As a side note, my girlfriend and I figured out that she has much thicker eye lids than I do. No seriously, I never thought about this before but just like some people are short and some are tall I guess some have thick lids and some have thin. This came about after we moved in together, I always sleep with shades down, she is a shade up person. We stumbled upon the idea that eye lids were different thicknesses after some basic controlled experiments (she is a scientist) we concluded this was the case. Never the less we sleep with the shades up of course!

L Miller

@lmiller

Locale: Maryland

If you need an actual eye mask I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TUZSMU/

I don't have a weight on it — it says 6.4 oz on the Amazon page, but that is not correct.

As opposed to Ken with his blackout eyelids, I'm pretty sensitive to light when sleeping. But I usually leave the eye mask at home and wrap some piece of gear around my head.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

If you need one, the ones the airlines hand out are fairly light; I usually bring one of those along on trips near full moon times. There's also a commercial one of very thin foam that has rounded eye cups, I think it's pretty light also.

I wonder if having super light sensitive eyes to begin with makes me more sensitive to light even when my eyes are closed? Never thought about it until this thread, but it makes sense to me.

robert mckay
    Spectator

@rahstin

Locale: The Great Land

This is yet ANOTHER use for a bandana(see my profile picture)

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Also use a Buff.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Although it drives my hiking partners crazy (they rise with the sun), I like to sleep in and an eye mask allows me to keep snoozing well after sun-up.

I use this one:

http://dreamessentials.com/product-50/snooz-airline-style-eye-mask

Manufacturer's weight is .25 oz.
    Mine weighs .21 oz.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

There are some that are provided by airlines on long distance flights… they are very small and light, yet fairly comfortable. If you know someone who travels frequently, they might have one that they'd give you!

cheers,

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

+1 on Buff.

Anything which goes over the top of the head will tend to drift off the eyes during sleep, a Buff folded twice stays put a lot more. I think I've been doing that for 10 years. I use one too in hotels with the "eternal light" safety lights.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 on the Buff.

A very versatile piece of kit.

Just some good natured ribbing before.

disclaimer: I sleep well just about everywhere.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I usually use one of the following:

Snug up my sleeping bag hood so only my nose is exposed (cool to cold weather)

Pull my knit hat down low (cool)

While not a buff, I often carry a neck gaiter that doubles as a hat in warmer weather to fend off cool evenings so that works great when pulled over my eyes (warm)

Sleep on my stomach, face burried in my arm / whatever clothing I'm using as a pillow (hot)

Rotate my sun hat so that I'm looking into the top of it (summer)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools