Topic

Everyone needs their own JMT 2012 gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Everyone needs their own JMT 2012 gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

What kind of actual temperature are you talking about. I find it pretty hard to get a useful impression when people give sleeping bag or quilt temperature ratings rather than actual temperatures.

Bag ratings unless EN ratings, people, and ancillary choices (like shelter and clothing choices) all vary so widely as to mean that one person might be in the same place and time freezing in a 20 F bag at the same time another is comfy in a 45 F bag.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

With your plan you will be doing about 17-19 miles a day for 12-14 days. I could not get along with 16 oz. of food unless it was really, really, really, calorie dense (like the canister full of peanut butter). We did the JMT in 14 days with one layover at Vermillion. We carried 24 oz. a day for about 3,000 calories. We were still at a deficit but I wouldn't want to have less.

Where I especially needed nutrition was in-between meals. We called it the drip method. We had to have little bags of goodies like Peanut M&M's, nuts, bars with lots of nuts, Perpeteum and then the Pringles and Cheeze-It's, etc. If I did not pay attention to my in-between meals I would have a tendency to bonk (apologies to my Australian friends) and then have to catch up.

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Yeah, about a pound a day, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. Only place it gets tricky is MTR to Whitney. The first half of the trail you can buy a cheeseburger every other day (Yosemite, Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, VVR, MTR), so between each of these all you need to do is carry a day and a half of food. I posted pictures and a list of what I eat earlier in the thread.

The summerlite is actually warmer than the bag I used the last two times . . . a highlite, and that was middle of september. I use a bivy so that adds some warmth, and if it's cold I wear some of my clothing . . . I've always been comfortable.

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Called Yosemite today and lucked out with a JMT South permit staring on 8/18.

Also have my list down to 7 lbs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AumeU1bgt2ljdDNTalBack9tLWFrRnQ4cGMxYzFsS3c#gid=0

excited!

B Robertson

@bubbarobertson

Locale: Central Valley

How do you not dehydrate with carrying no water?

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Water is all over the place on the JMT. When I'm thirsty I just stop and have a drink. A few places it's dry for a few miles, so I carry a liter or two then . . . but usually don't carry any.

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

nm

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

nm

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

"Also have my list down to 7 lbs:"

First off nice list and weight… But I think you might be off a little on your Zip lock bag weights. and you might want to rethink you food. Your menu is great for a short trip like 5 days but if your hiking the whole jmt on that food I would surprised if you had enough fuel to finish.

You would be taking in a fraction of what your expending(this is not an opinion this is a fact). and you can only do that so long before you literally starve to death.

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Good call on the ziploc weight . . . I've fixed it. I'm constantly changing/adjusting stuff . . . it's half the fun!

Food. Like I said, sometimes I carry more, sometimes less. Before MTR I eat all kinds of stuff (see cheeseburger post). All that really matters is after the ranch. I'm pretty much on a bar and bean burrito diet at this point. An average day would look like this:

5 AM – Bumble Bar – Lushus Lemon (I Love these!) 190 calories
    7 AM – Go Raw Bar – 240 calories
    9 AM – Honey Stinger Waffle – 160 Calories
    11 AM – Corn Nuts – 220 Calories
    1 PM – Lunch Break when it's crazy hot. Packit Gourmet Trailside Bean Burrito and Justins Choc/Hazelnut – 270 and 180 Calories
    3 PM – Bumble Bar – 190 Calories
    5 PM – Go Raw Bar – 240 calories
    7 PM – Snickers – 250
    (also some gatorade here and there throughout the day)

. . . something like this for the 4 or 5 days after MTR. It's about 2000-2500 calories a day and the weight of the above is about a pound. I basically cram my bear can full of corn nuts, snickers, bars, bean burrito mix, tortillas cut into little triangles, justins, snickers . . . somedays I might eat a bit more if I need the energy, some days a bit less. And this is only for the last 4 or 5 days. Worked great on my last couple JMT hikes.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I for some reason was thinking PCT(dont know why). JMT is more understandable. Sorry

Eileen Duncan
    BPL Member

@eileensd

Locale: The Sierra or the SF Bay Area

Last I checked (a couple weeks ago), you have to spend the night if you want to eat there… or maybe you're sending one in your resupply? Yum.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"The first half of the trail you can buy a cheeseburger every other day (Yosemite, Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, VVR, MTR)"

Well, $140 for a cheeseburger at MTR might sound pretty good to some folks, but it's a little high for me.

On a serious note… Pretty darn impressive. It sounds like you have it dialed. Nice job!

@ Frank T: Start another thread instead of "hijacking" this one. You'll get comments there. ;-)

Just cut and paste, then edit your post here to a "nm" – "never mind". (I would have PM'd, but you are not set up yet.)

Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

ok . . . ok . . . yes, no cheeseburger at MTR unless you spend the $140 for a tent.

In 2010 when I passed through, I spent the $140. The soak in the private hot spring, dinner, breakfast and sack lunch was worth every penny.

My plan this year is to pick-up my bucket, and if there is vacancy I'll decide if I want to stay or not . . . trying to avoid a schedule on the trip, so no reservations.

And all things considered a JMT hike is a pretty cheap vacation, so spending a little cash along the way is ok with me.

I'll be in Yosemite in 10 days!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools