Topic

best pack towel?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best pack towel?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Amy Bithiah

@plantedbystreams

What is the best lightweight packtowel you've used?

(MSR… Rick Steve's… etc.)

Factors to consider:

— Weight
    — Absorbability
    — Softness on skin
    — Drying time

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Italian hanky — my shirt sleeve :) or most often my bandanna, which I can use for other things. Also a HandiWipe works great, but I can't find the original style anymore, just the heavier heavy duty ones. I tried the pack towels a long time ago, but they were kind of bulky and heavy.

Steve Gaioni
    BPL Member

@sgaioni

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Compared to many of the towels I've tried, I've found the MSR Packtowel Ultralite to be excellent in all four of your listed attributes and it improves for the last three with each washing. I'll scrub-up with a bandana…then dry with the ultralite. I like the medium size and consider it one of my "luxuries" on the trail. You can also trim these to size, buying a large or medium and cutting it in half.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Also if you go to Wal-Mart or an auto parts store they sell cloths for cleaning your car in virtually all the same materials as the expensive REI brand towels they just call them things like 'polishing cloth' or 'detail towels' etc. You can find one to match virtually any of the REI options and they are MUCH MUCH cheaper. I bought some microfiber ones that are the same material as an MSR one I had but I paid I think $29.99 for the MSR and I got three small yellow ones at Wal Mart for $3.99 I think.

Wal-Mart also sells 100% cotton bandannas in the clothing section for a couple bucks for 2 or 3 packs.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

How much water to absorb? An occasional wipe or two? If so, then the world's lightest and most compact towel by far — and one that's reasonably comfy to the touch — is the Lightload Towel! Cheap too.

I use the Lightload towel (cut down to size) when hiking. But when traveling where I sometimes give myself a "towel bath" — I prefer a thin, cotton hand towel. Cotton, you ask? Yes, for its comfort. And the thin ones (which also happen to be the cheapest ones found in Wal Mart) really don't take all that long to dry.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Ultralight Pack Towel from Zpacks. Half an ounce, absorbs lots of water. Dries quickly.

Not as durable as some others, but at $2 each I don't worry. I find that if I'm careful, there aren't any issues (you have to tear them, basically).

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

ShamWoW!
    Seriously, I swiped some from my folks and they're great.

Mostly I use a bandanna or nothing. I don't like to carry a single-use item like a packtowel. Sometimes I use my merino beanie. Mostly when washing myself I also wash my hiking shirt, wring it out, and use it to dry with. Then put on my warmth layer (light fleece). When ready to start hiking again I put on the wet shirt (wrung out again) and walk it dry.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

I too use a ShamWow, one of the smallest size ones, it is about the size of a sheet of paper, very light and absorbant.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Hate to keep preaching Wal-Mart but they sell a towel in the car care section made out of that same 'Sham Wow' material for a couple bucks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I don't like to carry a single-use item like a packtowel."

If I take a dip in the stream, I use the pack towel to dry off. Then I try to let it dry out before sunset. At night, it becomes part of my sleeping pad. I can also clip it around my neck to use as extra insulation on my back on a cold day.

–B.G.–

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Shamwow 23 x 17 inches = 2.75 oz

cotton bandana 21 x 21 inches = 0.5 oz

You can carry 5 bandanas in different colors for less than 1 Shamwow.

I've used both.The Shamwow does a better job as a body towel, but the bandana beats it hands down everywhere else….and is multi-functional. I carry 2 bandanas; one for the kitchen and 1 for me (headband, hanky, sun screen, wiping down tent, straining big stuff out of water, triangle bandage, etc.)

No comparison!

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

> What is the best lightweight packtowel you've used?
    > — Weight
    > — Absorbability
    > — Softness on skin
    > — Drying time

Hi Amy,

I actually did a study on this. Included cotton bandana, a half dozen different types of microfiber cloths including ShamWow. What I found beat all the others by a wide margin in all four of the categories you list was…

HandiWipes (Heavy Duty). And only about $1 a piece.

Not the regular HandiWipe which was good but was closer to cotton bandana in performance. Give the Heavy Duty a try. I think you'll be surprised.
    I've even sewn two together to make a bigger towel.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

The ShamWow I have is about the size of a piece of paper and lighter than my bandana, works great.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I just use a generic 12 in by 12 in very thin microfiber towel. Very thin, around an ounce. I find it works better than cotton. I picked it up at the dollar store

Bret Barel
    Spectator

@bretb

Thought I'd use microfibre towels we got at Costco, but I don't like these at all. I've not had this sensation with any other fabric, but I can feel the fibers "catching" my skin almost like fiberglass. Very uncomfortable almost as bad as fingernails on a chalk board. I think these are going back.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'm headed for Nepal soon (dayhiking) and will try Ben's cotton hand towel, measuring about 15" x 26", 3.5 oz. May bring my backup Walmart towel too.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Bob

Where are yu finding cotton bandanas that weigh 0.5oz? I'd love to know, as the 21×21 ones sold at REI are 1.2oz.

KJ

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains
    Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

I have been using standard HandiWipes for several years. I can get 6 months of use out of each towel. They dry within minutes in the sun and weigh about .2 oz each. For a buck or two I would encourage you to try them out for yourself.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/hpc/detail-page/c26-B0061ITIRG-1-l-a.jpg

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Handi wipes are for house cleaning; not for your body.
    Clorox is a toxic and corrosive chemical

just sayin….

billy

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Billy, I don't think the Handiwipes actually have Clorox bleach in/on them — I think they're just Clorox "brand" wipes (you add the cleaning product).

They look a lot like what we Canadians called "J-Cloths".

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

"Handi wipes are for house cleaning; not for your body.
    Clorox is a toxic and corrosive chemical
    just sayin….
    billy"

Billy I believe you are thinking about Clorox Wipes, a different product. HandiWipes have no chemicals in them, they are re-usable dry towels. They are manufactured by the Clorox company, which is a brand known for their Chlorine Bleach. These towels are marketed as a green alternative to paper towels, because they can be washed and re-used. They are perfectly safe to be used on your body or in food preparation. I usually keep a half a towel with my kitchen kit and a full towel for general camp towel use.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I like light load towels and think they do a pretty good job. I carry one that's cut into smaller pieces so I don't cross contaminate.

Stole an idea from Pmags (or was it someone else) and carry a sponge for hygiene stuff. Works great.

Always carry a bandana EDC so carry one hiking too. Use it for stuff like wiping sweat off of my face to wiping condensation and/or dew and rain off of my shelter. Someone said there's is 1.5 ozs. Mine's .9oz. It doesn't matter really.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

My choice is Chux, an Aussie brand of kitchen cloth.
    Very light, absorbs well and dries very fast.
    I have a small pile of 6 of them that I used in my last trip with my wife(they are used for the tent,washing dishes and body wash) total weight 85g.
    You can see one hanging to dry on the tent guyline :
    Chux
    BTW, they are slightly different from one another so I know which is which.
    I have tried many types of microfiber,shammy and the like , nothing works as well for me.
    Chux pile

Just noticed…
    What you see in my gallon water container is not coke or tea, just water with tanning in it.
    possibly a source of fiber….

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I thought it was your pee bottle or sumthin

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools