Topic

Zoom Wars!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Zoom Wars!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Olympus carpet-bombed us with a host of new cameras today, including an 18X zoom model.

The good news is that it's fairly wide, being a 28-504 equivalent, and reasonably fast at f/2.8-4.5, and has image stabilization (it had better!).

I will remain in the skeptics bleachers as to the optical quality of such a beast, which heretofore would have only appeared on a video camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0701/07012507olympusp550uz.asp

The competition is now obgliged to launch a 20X zoom. Can't wait.

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

Aww, but it appears to not have threads for mounting a 2x teleconverter!!

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Just when I had decided which camera to buy, Olympus comes along and disturbs my thinking.

I am still inclined to go down the Pentax K 10D path, not UL, but a great camera

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

Looks like a camera with a lot of capability. I am surprised that with all of the scene modes,it doesn't have panoramic capability. Even their small digital cameras have it. I took this one with pocket digital.Clouds Rest

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The SP550 should be available in a few weeks, till than we can speculate, small sensor (1/2.5") but could still deliver in most light levels. Sony will announce soon a couple of 15x zoom cameras very similar in size to the H5, and Panasonic will replace the TZ1 (10x zoom,very compact) with a version starting at 28mm.So , yes it is open warfare on the long range.
    Franco

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Panasonic TZ2 has been announced. See details at http://www.dpreview.com/

Franco

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools