Topic

Hilleberg: Unna Vs. Soulo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hilleberg: Unna Vs. Soulo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

Hey Guys,

So I've almost completely decided to go with a Hilleberg as my next tent. I'll be spending a great deal of time in China and Mongolia this year, including the Gobi Desert. Additionally, next year I'll see a lot of time in Alaska and North Dakota. What I'm looking for is a free-standing solo tent(or 2p sized, but used as solo) that can take whatever I throw at it. After 4 days glued to the computer, I'm leaning heavy towards a Hilleberg. I wish the Unna or Soulo were lighter, but under 5lbs isn't the end of the world.

I think the Soulo is very aesthetically pleasing and extremely strong, but perhaps it's lacking in space? I don't like the tent to be touching me on both sides of my shoulders. Also, I really don't care for the vestibule…I have hardly ever used one, I generally sleep with my gear on the inside. As far as the Unna goes I don't see it being as capable in windy and snowy conditions, compared to the soulo. How well does the Unna hold up to snow? Is the Unna significantly larger inside, how does it handle wind? While I think the Soulo looks better and somewhat stronger, I think I might be happier with the room offered by the Unna. I just want to know will the Unna stand up to harsh conditions nearly as well as the akto and soulo do? Do you think the full door of the Unna will keep the tent cooler during the summer months? I like my views/sights as well, which seems to be another selling point of the Unna, but the soulo just looks so dang good. Haha.

I'm really looking for a high quality tent. I hiked the AT with a TT contrail and just didn't like it. I want to switch to a tent that I can be comfortable in and satisfied with on extended trips, I also need the materials to be super durable.

Thanks in advance everybody!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You can double up on the poles on the Unna just like all Hillebergs. That would certainly increase it's strength. Don't forget for summertime with the Unna you could get a mesh inner that they do not offer for the Soulo. That was one of the deciding factors for me with choosing an Unna for myself. It is pretty big inside too. Can easily fit all your stuff in there.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

I had the same thoughts and ended up going for the soulo. It's a brilliant tent. I figured if I was taking it out in winter conditions with rain and snow then the vestibule is something I would be using to store a wet jacket and pack and cook in. If conditions weren't expected to be bad I would go for my MLD cricket. It's easy to unclip the toggles if you go for the Unna and occasionally want a vestibule.

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

Brett- Does the soulo have enough space inside to be comfortable, do you ever store your pack inside of it with you?

I like the Unna, but for some reason I just think the Soulo looks better…hmm.

Ken- I saw the mesh inner add on, I really like that! I figured the Unna was plenty big enough, do you like the large door? Do you ever wish you would have gone with the Soulo instead?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

Dave-

I really like the rogen, but it's not out until May and they've lost their minds on price. The rogen is almost $800, the soulo is already expensive enough! Oh, and I'm only 5'9" so length isn't gonna be a killer.

David Ure

@familyguy

Ouch on the price. I knew that but forgot. The Soulo is now $598.

You will have more than enough room in the Soulo at your height. There is decent space at the side of the inner (where it meets at a point) for some gear. Pack no, but other miscellaneous gear – yes. The vestibule is not as wide as say, the Akto, but it is taller. The unna as you know doesn't have one (unless you unclip part of the inner).

Buy the Soulo…; )

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I snagged a Soulo today direct from hilleberg for 20% off, it was an ex dispaly model with a slight repair.

Cant wait to get my hands on it.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

I can store my pack to the side of my mattress (at night it is normally empty as stove and water are in the vestibule and I am wearing all of my clothes) and food bags are at the foot or head end of my mattress (I'm 6ft). Moontrail has some good photos for size reference
    http://www.moontrail.com/hilleberg/soulo/hilleberg-soulo-add-fullstup.html
    I love the half clip/half sleeves of the Soulo, really easy to pitch and poles are colour coded. You can shave a bit of weight with thinner guylines and pegs.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

At 5'9", I have plenty of space inside the Soulo, even with a 0 degree bag on top of a 2.8" thick Exped DownMat pad. I really enjoy having the vestibule to keep muddy or snow-covered stuff outside of the tent inner, and to use as a windbreak for cooking. Inside the inner tent there is a large triangle of space next to my sleeping pad/bag that could be used for a backpack – my 46 liter Exos would easily fit, but I think a 70 liter backpack would need to stay in the vestibule. What gives the Soulo (and the Akto for that matter) an edge for me is the ability to upzip both sides of the inner tent's door, and roll them up to the roof, whether the fly is open or closed. Instant space when you don't need the added cold or bug protection. Last comment, the Soulo seems more weather-resistant with a three pole setup than the Unna's two poles…

Hilleberg just put another Soulo up on their Special Offers page tonight – this time a red one at 15% off.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I've had an Unna for a few years and it's a very roomy shelter. One (to me) of it's best features is that you can put it up very rapidly due to the two sleeved poles(can swap those out with 10mm poles for the Staika/others? too).

Having been out with (but not used) a couple of people using Soulo's the pitching seemed more time-consuming.

The Unna is a barn space-wise. I've had mine in winds that dallied around the 60mph mark in Glen Rosa (Arran, Scotland) and it did not budge….I slept soundly, my brother in his TN did not fare so well :-)

Craig Rowland
    BPL Member

@craigr

Locale: Pacific NW

I have the soulo and akto. I did not get the unna because of the lack of vestibule. I live in a wet area so the vestibule was required for the gear.

Honestly, unless you are going to be under tremendous snow loads any of their tents will be more than enough. You just need to be happy with the config.

With that said, if I know I'm going to be in heavy wet snow I will take the soulo. It is heavier, but extremely strong and stable in winds. I suspect the unna is between the soulo and akto in terms of load strength and wind handling. IMO.

Craig

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I live in the UK; it can get damp!

Easy enough to make an Unna porch (virtual vestibule is how Hilly describe it); shoes, sack (and on) can fit in the existing fly-inner gap as is.

I'm interested in why you think the Unna 'sits between' the Soulo and Akto….profile?

Craig Rowland
    BPL Member

@craigr

Locale: Pacific NW

It is just my impression that the unna profile is probably stronger in snow than the akto, but not likely as strong as the soulo. The soulo is a really tough little tent once it is all guyed out. Not that the other Hillebergs aren't tough already. I like the unna and was very close to buying it, but when making my decision for my needs the people at Hilleberg thought the vestibule out where I am was the best option.

Honestly I don't envy the decision between these tents. They all are excellent for their own reasons.

Craig

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

Wow! I appreciate all the replies, most forums don't offer up this much info!

Anyway, I really like both…if only I could have the space of the Unna and Looks/strength of the Soulo. I guess what I really have to think about is what will be more comfortable in hot weather conditions? Would the Unna be more suitable to desert conditions, especially with a larger interior space? I would think in the desert and foreign countries it would be better to keep my gear on the inside and not in a vestibule?

In the end I think I'll just have to flip a coin, I can pick up a demo or used soulo in red…but I prefer green(?). This is definitely a hard choice, if the super expensive rogen was already out I would probably buy it…for the best of both worlds.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

You can swap out the regular inner tent with a mesh inner to help with ventilation and temperature management in hot weather. The Unna's mesh inner is already available, but the Soulo's won't be available till spring.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

I'd say if you are spending an extended amount of time travelling with it and want to store your gear in it with you go for the Unna.

Or the Soulo!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools