Topic

Henry Coe On Presidents Day Weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Henry Coe On Presidents Day Weekend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Wasn't some one planning to do this? My friend and I are planning a trip for Feb 20th and 21st. My first time there. I hear there are a lot of PUDS (pointless up and downs) We are looking for a backpack out of the headquarters area for one night(maybe two)–10 miles or so per day. Any suggestions. We are fairly strong hikers in the lightweight category.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

John, we are having our annual BPL GGG there on that date….we're expecting 70+ participants at Manzanita Point. If you guys would like to hang out with a whole bunch of gear geeks, the offer is open

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Man. I thought I was bumping that thread pretty hard :(

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Good timing :) You can first join the 4th Annual GGG meeting at Manzanita Point on Saturday and Sunday and then go on your hike on Monday and Tuesday. For a 20 mile loop from headquarter (or Manzanita Point) I would suggest to go down to China Hole, climb back up on the other side on The Narrows to Willow Ridge Trail and take that all the way to Coit Lake. From Coit Lake you can take Coit Rd to Kelly Lake. There would be your camp after roughly 10 miles. From Kelly Lake you can take Kelly Lake Trail until it joins with Coit Rd and continue to Mahoney Meadows Rd until it meets China Hole Trail which you take back to Manzanita Point.

The first 5 miles on the first day will have the most elevation change (roughly 1,100 ft down to China Hole and then roughly 1,300 ft up on the Willow Ridge Trail. The opposite (down over a longer stretch) is true for you second day. With all the little ups and downs inbetween you will most likely have some 5,000 ft of up and some 5,000 ft of down on those twenty miles. During last year's GGG meet in February we were not able to cross Coyote Creek at China Hole. It had become a raging river. This year we didn't get a lot of rain yet and right now I don't forsee any issues with crossing.

Have fun out there,

Manfred

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools