Topic

Best Material for Groundsheet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best Material for Groundsheet?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

I finished making a new silnylon tarp and am now wondering what to use as a groundsheet. I've heard of people using tyvek, silnylon, plastic, and even nothing at all.

I do want a groundsheet and am mainly concerned about keeping my sleeping bag from getting wet and dirty. What material would work best in terms of waterproofness and light weight? The issue of long-term durability is a concern but is third in the hierarchy of importance.

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

I would say that your best bet for lightness as a #1 trait above longevity (I have heard of people using the same one for a PCT jaunt) is the Gossamer Gear Polycro groundsheet. The weigh next to nothing and seem to fold up to a large pack of batteries in size (make that AAA).

Randy

PS Get the medium size for the "extra" width.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Gossamer Gear Polycro groundsheet

Highly recommended.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Visqueen! The plastic sheeting of backpackers of the '70's ah!

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Visqueen!

That stuff's heavy, although it is quite sturdy. A Hefty contractor bag (about the same thickness and strength as Visqueen) with the sides slit open is the same size as a small Gossamer Gear Polycryo groundsheet. The weight is 5.1 oz (versus 1.3 oz). Tyvek weighs about the same as a contractor bag and is sturdier, although I'm not sure exactly how waterproof it is under duress.

Steve Smith

@bardsandwarriors

Locale: Wales

I use a polythene dust sheet, available from Wickes DIY at a few ÂŁ's for 14 square metres. It is transparent, fairly quiet, 20gsm; but quite slippery. I might try painting lines of seam sealer onto it to improve the grip. It won't last, but I have lots left over!

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Yes Douglas, it's a bit heavy due to it's thickness, if you can even still find it today. it was useful in the backpacking I did in the '70's.

Those new Hefty bags with the white plastic/reniforced seem like another good bag to try.

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Another vote for the Polycro groundsheet. I cut a piece that is big enough for my outline and put that under my Lunar Solo. I don't put any under the rest of the shelter since I am careful with where I pitch it and don't put weight on the rest of the tent floor. It works really well for me, and I can get a lot of use out of each piece that I cut down.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

I like the plastic painters covers available from the hardware store. I believe the material is polyethelene. I have been using the 1mm thickness but 2mm would be more durable. What I buy comes in a folded sheet of about 9 ft x 12 ft and costs a few bucks. I then just measure and cut the sheet to fit my needs. The current sheet I am using for my Tarptent Squall weighs about 2.5oz/73g. The 1mm thickness is easily punctured but it isn't really a problem for me although it might cause problems for someone on the trail for weeks.

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm leaning towards the polycro ones that Gossamer Gear sells. Since this will not be used under neath a tent floor but directly beneath me and my pad, I think I will prefer the durability of this one over simple painter's plastic.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

In case you misunderstood, I have floorless Tarptent and sleep directly ontop of the groundsheet (with a sleep pad of course.)

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Ahh, I see…

Clay Moore

@cwm_nm

Locale: On the Rio Grande

I second the 1 mil painter's plastic. I've been using these, both under my Stephensons tent, who first recommended it for over 20 years, also when I hike solo under my pad. In my town a 9×12 sheet cost $1, and makes 4 solo sheets or two tent size, but I cut these to the exact shape of the tent (a 2RS) footprint. they are more durable than you think because of their flexible nature, and an excellent vapor and dirt barrier. I need to weigh a 3×9 piece. I know its lighter than everything I've checked, but have not ever seen a Gossamer poly sheet in person. Cant get much cheaper than 25 cents for a very good ground cloth, for the super econo minded, any puncture, could be repaired with a tiny piece of scotch tape. I have never had a puncture, with a small amount of ground prep. I just 'walk' the area I plan to sleep or put the tent on my hands and knee's removing any thing that feels sharp. they make one that has an embossed texture pattern on it, so its not even slippery., at least nothing like sil nylon, and a better vapor barrier too. If wet or dirty in the morning, they dry very fast in a few minutes of sun/wind.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I like Tyvek. It's a bit heavier than 1 mil plastic, but it's incredibly durable and has many other uses.

Thomas Roberts

@tr

Locale: Southern California

I too use the 1 mil plastic under my tents. I have been using it for a long time with no failure that could not be fixed by a small peice of duct tape. But I am always keeping an open mind for new ways and ideas for lightweight backpacking.

Richard Stein

@buckaroobanzai

What are the alternate uses for a Tyvek groundsheet?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If you shake it vigorously you can scare off most any wild animal.

gay culbertson

@gculbertson

Use it as a poncho or a tarp. When not hiking, use it to lay on when changing oil in your vehicle.

Mike Nielsen

@geophagous

Locale: Pacific North West

I have to agree on the 1mil plastic. I had a large roll left from a previous project and thought to give it a try. I have been amazed by it's strength. As others have reported it is tough, and I am pretty lazy with site prep, just getting the big stuff out of the way!

Ben Strickland

@ben_strickland

Locale: Georgia

I really like the 2 person space blankets you can buy from this site made by Adventure Medical I believe. Big enough for 2 people, roomy for one. Quite durable and light, waterproof. And it conveniently doubles as a space blanket ( reflective vapor barrier)! I've used one under a tarp or under the stars for probably 30 or so nights on the trail, and it's still going strong.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

I would like to second the space blanket. If you're carrying one anyway, why not use it as a groundsheet? I'm using mine while camping or on picknicks and it's still going strong.

Eins

Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

This looks like an old thread, but I have been trying to figure out the “best” ground cloth material too. I made one myself from 1.1 oz/sqyd silnylon from RBTR and really liked it, but sold it with the tent I sized it for (TT double rainbow). While much better than off-the-shelf ground cloths, it still didn’t fold down very small.

I only use a ground cloth when I know I’ll be camping in abrasive environments (like rocky mountaineering “camp sites”), not groomed campground spots. So I may lean more toward durability than some on this site. If I will be camping on soft dirt, I generally don’t use a ground cloth since I use a tarp tent with a floor.

I have tried polycro and hated it. It is about as puncture resistant as a ballon. But the biggest problem is tear strength. Once a rip starts, it tears across the entire sheet with almost no effort.

I think I’ll try the polyethylene (LDPE) painter cloths since they’re so cheap. Maybe I’ll find a thickness that is a good balance for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The 1.1 Mountain Silnylon from RBTR is probably about the most bomber and best UL option out there.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools