Topic

Storm Resistance of Ultralight Shelters: Part 1, Introduction

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Storm Resistance of Ultralight Shelters: Part 1, Introduction

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Is silnylon's stretch really a problem for anyone? I live in the Pacific Northwest where it gets reliably moist and have never had a problem with silnylon stretching out in any detrimental way. I pitch the tarp, eat dinner, re-tension, and sleep.

Mike Cecot-Scherer
    BPL Member

@mikescherer

Hi Roger and Struart,

Nylon expands when wet. Please check it with a piece of fabric or look it up in a plastics reference. In commonly used fabrics, it's easily a +2% to +3% net dimensional difference between dry and wet which translates into 2-3" per 100" (a simple hoop the narrow way on a 2-person tent runs about 110"; corner-to-corner on a wedge tent runs 140-150"). This is also why large family camping tents which are universally made where it's hot and humid (China, Bangladesh etc.), can look so horrible when set up in the US-West (UT, CO) where humidity can drop into the single digits. The fabric shrinks, the poles don't, and the result is wretched.

Thermal expansion is actually fairly small over the temperature range we are talking about: Say we pitch a tent at 70˚F (20 deg C) and the temperature plunges to -5˚F (-20˚C) for a temperature swing of 75˚F or 40˚C – we're assuming a really a huge temperature change for this calculation. The Coefficient of thermal expansion for nylon6 is 60 to 200 micro meters per meter per degree C which means that a meter of material would change length at MOST 40degreesC x 200E-6 =8E-3 which is 8mm. If, we look at a very common swing in wetness, a 1 meter length changes by 20 to 30mm. Wetness causes a huge effect for nylon6, a bit less for nylon66 and almost none for polyesters. This is not speculation. It's a blinding flash of the obvious. The real question is now that you know that manufacturer's are letting this poor performance pass for "normal," what are you going to tell them?
    I've attached a photo of a tent with a nylon6 fabric rainfly as it sat in my back yard cycling between wet and dry and without any change in staking or guying.

Tents require patterns that fit well – within a centimeter – so a 2-5" expansion cannot be compensated for with elastics in any meaningful way. This is especially true when one considers that having the wind whip your tent's rainfly around is neither aerodynamic nor quiet. The most wind-worthy tent is perfectly still and rigid. Shockcording the pullouts makes a tent move in the wind.

Silicone does increase the tear strength. PU does decrease it. No argument there (though one can make PUs that don't decrease it much). I contend that until a user somewhere finds that their tent has failed due to too-weak fabric that the fabrics are too strong. Please don't shower me with extreme examples. My point is not that it couldn't matter, it's that it doesn't matter for 99.99% of the users. Those for whom it more obviously MIGHT actually matter, they know perfectly well to buy a super-strong tent. And bravo if they recycle it themselves.

Regarding dynamic strength and nylon's supposed advantage over polyester – this is a red herring based on mis-scaling of the effect: a tent flexes in the wind on the scale of inches providing dynamic wind-force relief of whatever value it might have (and remember that in the case of cupping of the tent's shape this is a negative!). A fabric's stretch due to tension is on the order of fractions of an inch localized in the region of high tension – this is a small effect at best. I know of only one manufacturer that promoted this myth and I must tell you, it wasn't any kind of supported science, it was a "that sounds good" lay argument.

I'm going to come right out and make a values statement; I believe that our culture's obsession with over-strong materials at the cost of recyclability is vain and selfish. If we want to preserve our world – because it's coming to exactly that – we should be willing to carry a fraction more weight and maybe even get a little more much-needed exercise out of it.

I am happy to continue this discussion but it might be best doing it directly.

Best regards,
    Mike Cecot-Scherer
    http://www.inklinginc.comWet-Dry tent cycling

Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

Locale: West Virginia

Roger,

It's always my hope that I can get lots of varied information from this forum. I find the tone of your response uncomfortable. I would think/hope that BPL would encourage such particpation instead of a short terse smackdown.

FWIW, I've never had a PU polyester fabric failure so I think it is plenty strong.

Recycling is a very big deal to some of us. You might feel the same after watching the traffic into a landfill.

Dude, Sil-coated nylon sags/relaxes/stretches when wet, been there, done that.

Bobby

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes – silnylon will stretch. But try this. Just before you go to bed, re-tension the guylines and you will be just fine.

The pictures posted don't show much. Try guying out the tent with some tension first.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I'm with Kyle and David. Taking 10 seconds to pull on my cord locks to retension has never entered my mind as a hinderance.

Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

Locale: West Virginia

I have a lot of nights in TarpTents, Virga, Contrail and Moment. I still use my original floorless Virga for a couple of tight spots where I like to camp and the suitable pitching space is small.

I imagine that Henry knows silnylon stretches when wet and at least part of the
    excellence of his designs is that they are made to allow for it. There are line tightners and cinch straps that allow for re-tensioning without the need for re-staking.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Try measuring the weight gain difference between a wet silnylon tent compared to a wet polyester tent …
    Franco

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Does anyone know if polyester is used for parachutes?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Mike

I had better start by pointing out that I have been told on several occasions that I come across as a bit blunt. It seems to be a cultural difference between Australians and Americans.

Your estimate of nylon stretch with temperature matches my measurements.

> Nylon expands when wet.
    >a very common swing in wetness, a 1 meter length changes by 20 to 30mm.
    Well, I know nylon expands when it gets cold, and wet fabric is often colder than dry fabric. I know nylon gets weaker when it gets wet too. Does nylon expand when it gets wet as well? I have not seen any good scientific references covering actual measurements of this (as opposed to blank assertions), so if you can provide any they would be much appreciated. Educate me! (I mean it.)

> Shockcording the pullouts makes a tent move in the wind.
    Have to agree with you there. I don't use shockcord that way myself, only at the downwind end.

> I contend that until a user somewhere finds that their tent has failed due to too-weak
    > fabric that the fabrics are too strong.
    Well … hum. Not sure I agree. I don't mind having the fabric just little bit stronger than th rest …
    It's nice to know that even if the rest of the tent collapses in a storm, I could still wrap myself up in the fly.
    Also, repairing broken guy ropes or broken tent poles in the field (been there, done that) is a lot easier than repairing a ripped fly.

> a tent flexes in the wind on the scale of inches providing dynamic wind-force relief
    > of whatever value it might have
    If it's nylon fabric then we can expect nearly complete recovery of the original dimensions. If it is polyester there is a good change the distortion may be permanent. OK, we are getting pretty extreme here, but I have used both fabrics, and I did feel a lot more comfortable with the behaviour of the nylon fabric.

> I believe that our culture's obsession with over-strong materials at the cost of
    > recyclability is vain and selfish.
    The whole focus of BPL is 'going light', and that does include not using steel and canvas for strength when something lighter will do nicely.
    Whether 'we' discard that much gear which cannot be recycled – that I am not sure about. I have never discarded (thrown in the bin) any tent, and the only fabric I discarded was a small amount of degraded PU-coated stuff. I don't hear of others really throwing stuff out much either. Give away or resell – yes.
    I suggest that making recycling a prime focus may be losing sight of what we really need: reliable, functional light-weight gear. But here we get into the realm of personal value statements.

Btw – what is the tent? I am having trouble recognising it.

Cheers

Mike Cecot-Scherer
    BPL Member

@mikescherer

Hi Roger,

No worries, thanks for your kind reply.

For nylon fabric expansion I don't have a reference for you because I cut a strip of fabric and measured it wet and dry some dozen or more years ago. I was SHOCKED at the amount of expansion: roughly 2" on a 60" piece with NO PULLING on the fabric. This was straight-up expansion of the fabric. If you have a yard or so of fabric hanging around it's a really easy test to do. Heck, just put some pen marks on a tent and see what it does for yourself

On the photo I put up (a recent prototype with conventional modern nylon6 fabrics) you can tell that the fly is drooping at least 2" per side which works out to closer to 4% expansion. Since water also lubricates shifting of the fibers you would also see an increase in fabric stretch when wet which is independent of expansion since stretch is defined as dimensional change produced by an applied force.

For thermal effects I googled "nylon cte" (CTE means Coefficient of Thermal Expansion) and got a few links that all seem to indicate nylon has a positive CTE which means positive expansion with positive temperature change. Still, we all know that rubber expands a great deal at below freezing temperatures and CTE for rubber doesn't mention that little nonlinearity. Probably we're being given the cte for above the glass transition temp. Ah well, small effect anyway. Perhaps Ryan will make us some data…

I agree that we want the fabric to be a little too strong. Just a little. Unfortunately I believe we are running about twice as strong as needed. Of course, properly reinforced construction is absolutely required in any case or the tent will blow up with slight provocation. The reason that (properly constructed) tents are so strong is that the tensile strength of all our fabrics is quite high (e.g. 10+kg) while the requirement for reinforcing is driven by the tear strength which is quite low (e.g. 1kg).

I AM trying to indict our love affair with the absolute lightest of the light nylons because there are polyesters that are very light and work very well but they can't get traction because of our community's obsession with a few grams and fears about anything but maximal strength. That's the axe I'm grinding. With consumer demand, we could have polyesters that were every bit as light as nylons AND they'd work better when wet AND they'd degrade less with UV AND they'd be recyclable (so long as we don't silicone them). Probably just as "comfortable" too.

Steel poles and canvas? How silly.
    For the record I'm not suggesting cast iron pans or animal pelts for clothing either. ;)

I too have a closet of gear that's not being thrown away anytime soon but that's not the point is it? There's factory cuttings and repair department piles aplenty to tend to before our little museums face their end.

Best,
    Mike

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"II had better start by pointing out that I have been told on several occasions that I come across as a bit blunt. It seems to be a cultural difference between Australians and Americans."

Nah, maybe not "politcally correct" at times, but I find that to be a fine attribute :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Mike

> I cut a strip of fabric and measured it wet and dry
    Hum – experimental data, eh? I am going to have to try that one myself too.
    (For the record, I am an *experimental* physicist, and data beats theory everyday.)

> Nylon CTE
    Well, I measured it, so I believe my own data. Nylon string expanded in the cold.

> but they can't get traction because of our community's obsession with a few grams and fears
    > about anything but maximal strength.
    Not sure I can buy that one. For me at least, it's the elasticity of nylon which wins. I really am not fussed about small differences in strength.

Educate me some more. You are pushing very hard to replace nylon with polyester, but is there any reason to believe that PE is less environmentally damaging than nylon?

The PU vs silicone debate is over I think. PU may be cheaper, but it has been found to be a lot less reliable, weaker and shorter-life. If it gets wet it rots, and we do hear of quite a few tents being trashed that way. I am far from convinced that PU coating is an environmental match for silicone.

As for the UV degradation – it takes an AWFUL long time before a tent fly gets UV degraded – far longer than most walkers would ever experience in the field. Yes, I have tested that, and it took years of very heavy all-day use.

An interesting discussion: please continue.

Cheers

Mike Cecot-Scherer
    BPL Member

@mikescherer

Hi Roger,
    Experimental Physics – excellent!

Funny, in extreme cold I usually find that both nylon and polyester rainflies act as if they're smaller but I always attributed that to stiffness and wrinkles.

Still not with you on the inherent stretchiness of nylon vs poly nor the value of having it. Perhaps the polyester fabric you had wasn't particularly supple? The softest garment fabrics are polyester so I doubt that there's any inherent difference. I find fabric stretchiness just masks fundamental problems with pattern-fit and makes the tent flap and generally misbehave in a wind. Perhaps Ryan can add this question to his list?

The managers I have as clients only see the apparent obsession with fabric strength. It may not even exist in real life for any given customer but as an inferred attitude it's hard to miss. And you're absolutely right that UV damage really has to be extensive before a user notices – which is ANOTHER argument for lower strength materials since we don't notice until strength has dropped to a fraction (a small fraction) of new.

Polyester (PET or PETE) is what soda and water bottles are made from so there is a ready place for it in the recycling world. Recycled fleece and some sleeping bag insulations are based on it too. Nylon has no large scale recycling at present. My fabric suppliers only talk about polyesters so I take that as meaning that recycling nylons is a ways off. Full back-to-monomer-feedstock recycling has been demonstrated for both polyester and nylon. It, of course, uses much more energy and resources than mechanical repurpose-type recycling.

One commenter mentioned weight of wet fabrics. That's an easy thing to get at: the moisture absorption. Water saturated Polyester is about .5% while saturated nylon 6 runs from 4.5% to as much as 10% (with avg 8.3%). The difference is Ginormous!

Polyester ref: http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=a696bdcdff6f41dd98f8eec3599eaa20
    Nylon6 ref: http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=726845c457b94b7cafe31d2e65739e1d

I agree that the silicone performance debate is over. I'm arguing that we shouldn't get too attached to it because it makes fabrics completely non-recyclable. It gums up the machinery and cannot be separated from the fiber. Not by any present process according to my fabric sources. Instead we should be pushing manufacturers to use some of the more advanced PUs available: water based, aliphatics and so on. The days of smelly PU that peels off are long gone (for quality brands).

Food for thought…
    Best, Mike

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Mike

I have made and used tents from both fabrics. It may be that the coating on the polyester was much stiffer than siloxane – I think was partly polycarbonate (spinnaker), but the behavour of the tent in high wind was definitely more flappy. By tensioning the nylon fabric it seems to flap a lot less. The stretch of nylon seemed to absorb the shock loading of gusts much better too. OK, subjective assessment rather than actual measurement.

Yes, PE may be soft, but that is often more of a function of the fibre denier than the bulk material properties. Not really all that relevant to a tent, but may be so for quilts or clothing.

The hang-up over fabric strength is an amusing one. The industry has a (marketing spin) pre-occupation with 'ripstop' fabrics, but in practice the ripstop fibres do not contribute anything to fabric performance: the fabrics don't rip. But they definitely, provably reduce the water pressure rating, often badly. Get rid of the ripstop and go back to the basic plain weave and we will be ahead already.

> we should be pushing manufacturers to use some of the more advanced PUs available:
    > water based, aliphatics and so on.
    Ah, but how well do they perform? I am willing to believe they can be as waterproof, but what do they do to the strength of the fabric? If they can be formulated to boost the strength of the fabric as silicone does, then tell us about it. But currently PU coatings decrease the strength, which is a non-starter. Also, double coating or impregnation is now definitely preferred for performance reasons over single-sided coating.

Recycling – tricky business. I am all for it, but I have yet to see anyone suggest using PE instead of nylon for climbing ropes. Depends I guess on priorities. Mind you, if you have samples of the sorts of fabrics you are talking about, can I see them for testing? (I spent 27 years in fabric research.)

Cheers
    [email protected]

Mike Cecot-Scherer
    BPL Member

@mikescherer

Aha! There, that's what I'm on about:

> But currently PU coatings decrease the strength, which is a non-starter.

A non-starter even though the tear strength is more than needed? Yes, even PU coated fabrics are too strong – that's the lesson of repair departments and UV damage. This exactly fits my definition of being over-obsessed with strength. We STILL default to the lazy idea that a fabric is peachy if it's as good or better than what we've been using. I contend that the current strengths are an accident of what's been available and that they are overly strong. Getting to the bottom of what's actually needed is the essence of my request/hope for Ryan's series.

Could PU (or some other) coatings be engineered to increase tear strength? Well sure, of course. Elasticity isn't exclusive to silicone and that's the property that seems to account for the increased tear strength. We might even be able to use a silicone based coating. Anything but impregnation should be recyclable.

As lovers of the outdoors and (presumably) as environmentalists, it's non-recyclable materials that should be the non-starters, right? We should all be pushing this because it matters and is consistent with our deepest beliefs, yes?

Best, Mike

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

"We might even be able to use a silicone based coating. Anything but impregnation should be recyclable."

They are the same thing, coating and impregnation (at least when it comes to fabric).

The water based PU coatings were the ones most likely to dissolve and smell like puke
    with exposure to water, in my experience.

"As lovers of the outdoors and (presumably) as environmentalists, it's non-recyclable materials that should be the non-starters, right? We should all be pushing this because it matters and is consistent with our deepest beliefs, yes?"

Not if you have to replace a shelter every 10 years due to coating failure or fabric
    weakening. The first on the list is reduce, not recycle.

Ryan's article so far is just one big question mark. Lets see some real numbers and
    tests, some videos etc.

Mike Cecot-Scherer
    BPL Member

@mikescherer

Hi David,

I think you're mixing up water based PU with hydrolyze-able PU. They're different. Water based PU refers to using small enough PU chains that it can be held in water for depositing onto a fabric. Once there, it's the chemistry of the particular PU that determines if it decomposes with water. For the record, fabric finishers offer "water based PU" coatings that they assure me do not decay like the old PUs did. No one wants that awful old stinky stuff.

Fabric manufacturers are telling me that coatings on fabrics – even on very thin fabrics – are very different from a recycling point of view than impregnations. BTW to my knowledge, only silicone currently is impregnated into fabrics. Double sided PU coating is done for some specialty components so they can be taped on both sides but it's not a widespread material so I can't speak to its recyclability – yet.

I hope I don't sound like I'm arguing for short lived tents. Absolutely not. But we keep falling into the rhetorical mode that anything less than what we have now is unacceptable even though we have no actual basis for comparison. Why, for instance would you assume that a PU coated tent only lasts 10 years when there are a heck of a lot of that type of tent out there now which are already in their second decade of use?

Still, just to be ideologically clear I'm going to climb out onto this theoretical branch: I contend that a tent that lasts 20 years but has no way to be recycled is not better than a tent that last 10 years but is 100% recycled. I'm suggesting that any non-recyclable product is backward in just that way despite whatever else it may have going for it. It's non-optimal and we should strive to AVOID IT OR FIX IT.

Best, Mike

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

"I think you're mixing up water based PU with hydrolyze-able PU. They're different. Water based PU refers to using small enough PU chains that it can be held in water for depositing onto a fabric. Once there, it's the chemistry of the particular PU that determines if it decomposes with water. For the record, fabric finishers offer "water based PU" coatings that they assure me do not decay like the old PUs did. No one wants that awful old stinky stuff."

It has been awhile since I received samples of the water based PU from a vendor, but it
    took only one trip through the washing machine to have it start peeling. It was lauded
    as being environmentally friendly. But I would like to see some if there are better
    versions.

I do tent repairs. I find lots of urethanes don't last more than a few years. I haven't found a good way to recoat them.

I don't see the silicone coated ones peeling and if there is wear (they are usually pretty thin to start with, and abrasion can produce pin holes and furry spots) they can be re-coated using a technique one of the members here has posted.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> coatings on fabrics – even on very thin fabrics – are very different from a recycling
    > point of view than impregnations.
    However, I have found that the surface coatings delaminate – even some of the good ones. Yes, I have had the PU film tear off the surface of the fabric, many times. Not good: wasteful.

I have made tents from coated and impregnated fabrics. I will now only use impregnated fabrics. Apart from the delamination problem, I found that a coated fabric could absorb water on the uncoated side and then freeze. The resulting frozen tent was not only very hard to pack up, but there was a serious risk of damage to the fabric when it was folded up, from the ice layer. That's not acceptable any more.

> only silicone currently is impregnated into fabrics.
    I doubt this somewhat. I have fabrics which have a siloxane-based coating on one side and a PU-based coating on the other side – and both seem to be impregnated into the fibres. Yes, examination with a microscope, and while under pressure.

More to the point though: I don't think many coating plants use a single polymer any more. They seem to be using blends of polymers to get their desired performance. But this is an area of black magic and trade secrets. Concrete data is hard to get.

> any non-recyclable product is backward in just that way despite whatever else it may
    > have going for it. It's non-optimal
    Rather a lot of idealogy here – too much for me. I contribute quite a bit to conservation organisations each month, but I think this is massively distorting what we really need to achieve in global conservation. The use of the most functional fabric and coating does not seem to me to be wrong if it works well and lasts well. Sorry, but we will have to diverge here. To each his own.

Cheers

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Pulled off the Patagonia web site today:

"There’s a reason that ‘recycling’ comes last in the mantra: Reduce, Repair, Reuse, Recycle.
    Recycling is what we do when we're out of options to avoid, repair, or reuse the product first. That's why I am so impressed with Patagonia for starting its Common Threads Initiative with the real solution: Reduce. Don't buy what we don't need. Repair: Fix stuff that still has life in it. Reuse: Share. Then, only when you've exhausted those options, recycle."
    – Annie Leonard, author of The Story of Stuff

I completely agree with her. Recycling is just one step up from landfilling.

Do I need a new tent? oops… probably not. But if I get a new tent- isn't longevity and total mass of material important? If 1.1 osy basis weight silnylon is as strong as 1.9 osy basis weight PU nylon, then the silnylon uses a lot less raw material. If it lasts a long time that's good too.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Tents don't get tossed because they're no longer usable. They get scrapped because we're bored or there's something newer and lighter that sparks our interest.

It maybe true that silicone coated tents aren't as recyclable as polyester. I don't know. But recycling programs don't kick in unless there is enough volume to support it. Given the relatively small volume of silnylon in the market relative to polyester, it's probable that their simply isn't a large enough supply to warrant applying the resources necessary to figure out how.

So the question is do you simply abandon a fabric because it's failed to reach a certain threshold. Or do you expand the market in hopes that someone will find a use.

People have pointed out that there are a number of other technical issues with silnylon, ie. seam taping, stretching, etc. Again, are there real technical issues that prevent these issues from being solved or is it again simply a lack of volume.

With polyester fabrics priced at a small fraction of the price of silnylon, there is little incentive for large volume fabric consumers to make the switch. Until they start doing so the price of silnylon will probably remain high and any incentive to resolve any issues or recycle it small.

Ron

Stuart Murphy
    BPL Member

@stu_m

There are also siliconised polyester fabrics. I agree with the person/s that said amount of material for tents may not constitute a large (or significant) market for recyclable material.

More likely, a tent that lasts a while (and that people don't feel the need to "upgrade") will be better environmentally.

As for poly versus nylon. There are quality manufacturers that use both. I assume both are suitable. Each material has its benefits/drawbacks. I do suspect silnylon is overhyped these days (for some of the reasons others have mentioned).

I own a siliconised polyester tent and a silnylon. I am very happy with the polyester (I am also happy with one of the 2 siliconised nylon tents I have).

Re uv damage: I have had nylon become like paper (rips between your fingers). This does not trake long. Does anyone know the expected life of a tent at Everest base Camp? I suspect it's in the weeks or a month or 2 before it is damaged beyond use by UV.

On a different note… my desire for BPL to wind machine test shelters rather than rely solely on field testing where you can't account for all the variables (and can't even guarantee conditions will allow for a meaningful test – there may be no wind at all)…

If you look at the videos/measurements on Outdoor Magazin site there is often 5 or 10 km/h between a tent being stable and not (including catastrophic failure). I don't think only testing in a natural wind corridor is therefore an equitable way to test. You need to have tight control over wind velocity amount of turbelence and angle to the wind for a fair comparison between tents. You cannot infer a tents failure point unless testing it to failure (stable to unstable is such a small difference in wind speed often; you can also not infer a tents stability based on design it would appear — there are marked differences on Outdoor Magazin of tents with similar designs that you would expect would fail at similar wind speeds).

I hope BPL is able to meaningfully control for some of the variables if unable to get a wind machine and does not jump to conclusions like "This shelter performed flawlessly in 80km/h and I'm "sure" it would take 100 km/h wind". Please stick to what is measurable.

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Sad but true.
    Gear is most often bought for the kick of it. Not to mention that the majority of it is used, say five times a year.

On the lifetime of tents and fabrics. Yes there is a difference between ten and 20 years of service. That 100% increase is very good indeed. If one wouldn't put it in perspective to the natural resources used. The raw materials existed for thousands of years, was in use for 20 and then burned. Seen that way, I agree with Mike, we have no other option but to recycle. It's our obligation.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Stuart,

You said, "Does anyone know the expected life of a tent at Everest base Camp? I suspect it's in the weeks or a month or 2 before it is damaged beyond use by UV."

The average nylon fly’s useful life at sea level, during full sun days, is 21. There are two base camps on Everest and the higher one is 5,545 meters (18,192 ft.). With every 1000 meters increase in altitude, UV levels increase by 10% to 12%. So, 5,545/1000 * 11% * 21days = 12.8 days, rounded to 13. This passes the real world experience test as is attested to by Bob Gross in his post at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=38299 assuming his tent had some use prior to leaving it on a summit for nine days.

He said, “While doing a mountain expedition, my team left one of my large dome tents erected at base camp. We came back after it about nine days later, and it was "brittle" from the sun exposure. I won't state that the fabric was totally ruined, but I never wanted to use it again.”

If the fly was polyester it would last approximately 61% longer in each of the above scenarios.

The above calculations are worst case scenarios and the time could be lengthened by the following known variables, plus possibly others: sun height, latitude, cloud cover, altitude, ozone, ground reflection, and fly color.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Richard, how much would aluminized coating help to increasing the life of nylon fly?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools