Topic

Post on food planning for multi-day hikes & thru-hikes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Post on food planning for multi-day hikes & thru-hikes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

To other power-users of Excel, this post may not be informative. But for new backpackers and non-users of Excel, it could be helpful.

Food planning for multi-day hikes & thru-hikes

Intro…

I plan for a trip in two stages:

1. The theory. On my computer, I develop, refine, and perfect every aspect of the trip, notably my gear, supplies, route, and logistics. To do so, I rely heavily on applications like Excel, Word, National Geographic TOPO!, and Google Maps.

2. The tangible. I obtain everything that is a prerequisite to start. For example, I order my gear, bottle my stove fuel, print my maps, and reserve my air flights. This stage can be intimidating because I am now committing my financial resources, not just my time.

In the remainder of this post, I want to explain how I theoretically plan my food for multi-day hikes and thru-hikes.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Very nice. Thanks Andrew.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

That was very helpful to compare against what I've been doing. Thank you.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You mean you don't randomly cover your kitchen counters in piles and piles of food along with boxes of bags ;-)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Sarah: "You mean you don't randomly cover your kitchen counters in piles and piles of food along with boxes of bags ;-)"

My food preparation (mostly dehydrating) is being done now, so I will have enough meals to last through the backpacking season. I don't want to be dehydrating when the outdoor temperature is 95*F (already tried that–if you must, run the dehydrator in the garage). I bag individual meals as I prepare them and store them in the freezer. I have planned most of my spring/summer/fall trips, so I know approximately how many meals I need. I'd rather have a dozen extra meals than be up all night just before a trip! (Yes, the latter has happened!) In the freezer, the extra meals will keep for the following year, or I can use them as emergency food.

I use my dining room table and the piles are not random! I divide the table into quarters: 1/4 breakfasts, 1/4 lunches/snacks and 1/2 dinners. I then stack each section by variety. (Obviously, I have more variety for dinners than for the others.) I then walk around the table with my OP sack picking up the appropriate number of meals for the trip. What I don't pick goes back back into the freezer. It helps that I live alone so I can eat somewhere besides the table!

A ping-pong table or a rented folding table would also do the job if you need the dining room table for eating.

I like Andrew's plan, although since I don't go on long expeditions, mine is a lot simpler!

Sabine Funk

@sabinefunk

Wow, I understand making all the lists for an expedition. But for the usual backpacking I never thought about that. I just estimate the days I'll be out there, add one for emergency and go shopping.
    I can't even do a lot of planning – my backpacking trips usually last 2 months so when I get into a town (where I've never been before) I just enter the supermarket (I don't now what they might have for me) and see what I can get…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools