Topic

Music is your only friend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Music is your only friend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Love…good ole Arthur Lee

One of the most incredible songs written during the 60's was Alone Again Or..

Note that I am a punk rock listener, but when it comes to the folkie stuff of the late 50's to early 60's both genres have a lot in common

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

So who is going to answer the Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood question? And earn extra credit by answering Bill's questions?

James Castleberry

@winterland76

As an impressionable 14-yr-old on Oct. 9 1976 at the Oakland Coliseum, I saw the Dead for four hours followed by the Who (with Keith Moon on drums) for three hours, as a thick cloud of cannabis smoke hung over the outfield. I missed the prime of the '60s bands but saw the Who, Zep, and Stones in an 18-month period in the mid-70s and the Who was by far the best. No contest really. Shortly thereafter, I attended my my first Dead show at Winterland. The great thing about Dead shows at Winterland, besides the great music and interesting crowd, was that I never ever remember seeing a cop inside the hall. Ever.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Yeah he really came out of left field. Perfect psychedelic guitars but then a horn section and strings .It was like staring at those old sleeves at Elektra and seeing the Doors for sale next to Herb Albert And the albums got driftier and driftier. De Capo out there . Songs like Lonesome Cowboy so far out that it was like turning his stuff inside out. A big backstory that needs fleshing out is the lyric writer. Bryan MacLean
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_MacLean
    Much like Cream , the poet never really got due respect.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Brown
    You have to love it all , but history is history too. Punk was so welcome . But so was New Wave. I got by on Bluegrass when Disco was king. But it also sticks with you . Iris Dement is incredible. Gillian Welch , Dave Rawlings, and Emmylou are playing many evenings as well as Visions of Excess by the Golden Palaminos or Come clean by Curve . And seeing the Psychedelic Furs and Oingo Boingo . It really is our best friend.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

I do believe it is the over under sideways down Paint Your Wagon , uncredited write by Ken Kesey.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Very entertaining movie. Both were married to the same woman at the same time, because she wanted the best characteristics of both, each was incomplete.

Now where was most of it filmed… this should be easy for us backpackers :)

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

And don't forget how much Sondra Locke did for Clint later on . She was some child star and I think it hit him hard. Wincing. But how lucky we are to have film, music and photography. True time machinery.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Well Happy VD day as we used to say. A free download of Chicago Blues in 72. I am from the South Side and this is very real . Ignore the British Overlord commentary. Kind of ironic and class structure ladled. But man the music is there. ENJOY. And look at other posts by this guy. Some rare Clapton, Clash.
    http://stagevu.com/video/kyhjtqmntwof

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Those are all great bands. Stuff I listened to as a kid. My first date was to some kind of all night Jimi Hendrix movie marathon.

These days I listen to Lunasa, Altan, Danu, Taeda, Matt Molloy, Michael McGoldrick, etc. If you even know who these are then you know what kind of music it is.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

This is online now. Holy smokes. Prepare to be marvelously overwhelmed.
    http://research.culturalequity.org/

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Don't have time to make a list right now but I'd give a big +++++++++++ to Brendon's listing John Fahey and add early Leo Kottke to that.

Oh, Rory Buchanan too!

joseph peterson

@sparky

The only band humans need in their life is ween. With ween you life will be complete.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Ever see Leo in concert? Bizarre. Plays like a Cyclotron but swears like a sailor. Fahey I saw about 73 when his girlfriend was at our campus. Dead drunk on stage and a pure mess. Bad night? What did you make of the Mahavishnu Orchestra or Return to Forever, or Miles in those times?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Kottke in concert? Not in a long time but yes. He's from our neck of the woods. Most times it was at college concerts (student center venues, bare stage except one mic and a steel folding chair.

First time I heard "Watermelon" on the radio I thought THOSE guys are GOOD. Then heard, "that was Leo Kottke" … hmmm strange name for a band. Was genuinely floored the first time I saw "them" live and he walked out on stage alone.

Haven't seen Fahey live though.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools