Topic

Music is your only friend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Music is your only friend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

John,

Thank you very, very much for posting this.

I have been a folk music lover since I was a teenager (although I had knock-down battles with my father who was convinced they were all Communists and I would follow suit — especially Pete Seeger). I have been slowly converting my LPs to digital (at the current rate of progress I will probably die before I finish). Just last week I converted two of Lomax's works and took pictures for the album covers for my iPod. A lot of his stuff was recorded through the Library of Congress. These two albums were done in 1964 and have 3 LPs in each set, and are recorded in mono, the standard in those days (even the first Beatles albums were in mono before stereo came along). This is going to save me a bunch of time and looks like a lot can be downloaded for free. Here are the covers and I have several more to go.

Leadbelly

Woody Guthrie

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Woody Guthrie!?
    Sure there's not a Marxist hiding somewhere under that desert-tanned hide of yours Nick?

But seriously, Alan Lomax turned me on to so much great music as well- big Leadbelly fan here, Woody too.
    Very nice to see that full digital versions will be available; this is really cool.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Craig,

I'm full surprises, aren't I :)

No surprise that I hate Rap, Hip-Hop, and Punk among others. And No, I never, ever bring a music machine hiking. I also am a big fan of R&B, Jazz, Mowtown, and most Rock until around 1980; it gets rather selective after that. Also love musicals. Here is a trivia question — you can't look it up on the Web — what musical did Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood star in together?

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

The Stones. Pink Floyd. The Beatles. The Kinks. Class structure begets the Surf in' Bird and Thomas Pynchon.Beach bums floated toward mountains always.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I know the answer…….

(Did I beat B.G.?)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I was born under a wandering star

I too know the answer.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I want to say 1969. Does that sound right?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Ken knows :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

You sir have excellent taste. How about Cream and The Byrds to the list.

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

OK, I will play. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band also sang and acted in this movie. What song did they sing? What two outdoor areas was the musical filmed? I will add the Weavers, Peter, Paul and Mary, Chieftains, and Joan Baez to the folk list.Clint and Lee lack major singing skills (they speak sing) but I enjoy less than perfect artists.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Bill, since I have the original LP sound track I won't answer.

How about some lesser known artits of the time or whose musical roots were plant somewhat in folk? I can start it off.

Buffy St. Marie
    Hoyt Axton
    Buffalo Springfield
    John Prine
    Bread
    David Allen Coe
    Laura Nyro
    Cat Stevens
    Sugarloaf
    Leon Redbone

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice list! I have a few of those on LPs. Love the album cover art. Thanks for waking up some old gray matter.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

WHOA!!! 17,000 songs streaming for free?? That is awesome. I got into the various artists that Lomax recorded a few years ago. Being in my 20's and from New Jersey, I'm not quite sure how it happened but it did.

Some of my favorites that I think are worth checking out would be George Stoneman (and the Stoneman family in general), Hobart Smith, and Mississippi Fred McDowell.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Not only the album artwork, but many came with booklets or even posters. I still have a turntable and sometimes listen to them when working in my home office. It is a pain that they only play about 15 minutes on each side, which is why I am slowly digitizing them. CDs are quick and easy to convert.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Dang. Woke up this morning with that song in my head. Now I'll have to watch that movie again..

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"John Prine"

Classic. His recent live albums are well worth the cost – fabulous stuff.

"Bread"

You've got to be kidding me! One of the original syrup bands. One listen and you can go into insulin shock! ;-)

"Cat Stevens"

His "Teaser and the Firecat" and "Tea for the Tillerman" still get regular play on my Sonos.

"David Allen Coe"

He lived what Johnny Cash sang!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nick, instead of taking pictures of your albums. An easier process would be to use ratemymusic.com or discogs

Both sites have high quality scans of the artwork, reviews, track listings etc
    Just drag and drop

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Nick, I'm actually doing somewhat of a reverse of what you're doing. When there is an album I want, I buy the actual vinyl album and nowadays it usually comes with an mp3 download. I've got albums from Radiohead, Oasis, and various other artists. My birthday present from my wife a few years back was a brand new turntable. I don't do that with all my music because it would just be too expensive, but if there's an album I'm really wanting, I'll search out the vinyl. I haven't bought a CD in 5 years, and I think they'll go the way of the VHS at some point. They're already heading down that path.

I've also got some original oldies in my collection (to list a few)

asdf
    ghm
    jhg
    eytk
    djtk

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Muddy Waters. wow, it's been a while since I've thought of him. Or heard his music.

Thanks for posting that. :)

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Some of my faves from the genres being discussed (+1 to Alan Lomax being awesome):

John Fahey
    Townes Van Zandt
    Emmylou H.
    Gram Parsons
    Robbie Basho
    Mississipi John Hurt

and some Jazz:
    C. Mingus
    Archie Shepp
    J. Coltrane
    Sam Rivers
    Eric Dolphy
    Albert Ayler
    Pharaoh Sanders

I also like rap, hip hop, and punk ;)

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

I haven't bought a CD in years either..

I've never been a big fan of music videos,( some early MTV was cool, especially robert palmer and peter gabriel), but i do miss the awesomeness of cover art. I view albums as complete pieces of art (not just songs) and putting a one image face to that album is just interesting to me.

video killed the radio star

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Ken,

Thanks, I will check that out. Takes sometime to type in all the tracks and stuff.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Travis,

LPs are still produced? Wow, I thought they died years ago.

Animals – one of the great bands of all time. Eric Burdon was also the lead singer for War on many albums.

Queen – some real classics!

We MUST add the Yardbirds to our list. Check out these former lead guitarists:
    – Eric Clapton
    – Jimmy Page
    – Jeff Beck

For a while both Page and Beck played guitar at the same time for the Yardbirds, Beck on lead and Page on both bass or rhythm guitar. They did a couple records with both on lead.

Another must add is Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.
    Crosby had played with the Byrds, Stills and Young with Buffalo Springfield, Young with Crazy Horse, Nash with the Hollies. Stills tried to become on of the Monkees, but was turned down due to a current record contract and he recommend his friend Peter Tork who was selected.

A somewhat unknown group was Love. They were popular on the West Coast and in the UK. One of the first psychedelic bands. First big hit was "7 and 7 is." On one of their tracks, Jimi Hendrix played – this was Hendrix's first recording.

Growing up in LA during the 60's I often snuck (I was underage) into the Troubadour and the Whiskey A Go Go, very famous rock clubs. Also in the 60's a club called The Blue Law opened in the Gardena area of So Cal, and headlined Cream before they made it big. I used to go their a lot with some of my friends. The Blue Law was huge, a former warehouse and it was cheap to get in. The absolute best was the Fillmore in San Francisco, and I hitch-hiked up there a couple of times with my old Boy Scout backpack in tow; again underage. Ah, but then I entered the military to "grow-up."

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

The DoorsI first heard Love with Arthur Lee on the FM underground radio in Chicago . Forever Changes. Blew my mind. Many years later here in Portland Arthur showed up with what would become the Forever Changes tour that eventually had a full symphony by the time they hit London. Out on DVD.The summer of Light my Fire I saw the Doors in Chicago . Morrison did backflips on the stage, women threw underwear, the cops shut it down because Jim invited the audience to come up. Chairs went flying. Saw them again the year of Waiting for the Sun. Still tight but he barely moved. The Jefferson Airplane doing Volunteers, Steve Miller, It's a Beautiful Day, Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Spirit, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody. Good times . Little Ed and the Blues Imperials. Ed is J.B. Hutto's nephew. My favorite band with only an e.p. free out The Black Ships with Nick McCabe. And just from the library Fruit Tree by Nick Drake Found This .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYoCynZHl9E

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools