Topic

Cuben / Pertex Quantum – Down Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben / Pertex Quantum – Down Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Cuben / Pertex Quantum – Down Quilt

I wanted to make a Down Quilt with a lot of Down in it. What I ended up with was a Down Quilt with between 4" and 4.5" of loft. It looks a little bigger than my typical quilt size. The Down Quilt is still made to go into my Bivy. It is 40" across the top, 32" at the bottom and 70" long.

It uses self-contained silk baffles – think silk quilt.

This means it is made to go inside a cover much like a comforter cover you might have a bed. The cover top is Black Pertex Quantum and the bottom is Cuben Fiber. By making it this way I have no sewing lines to leak water into the Down. The foot end can be opened to remove the silk quilt part if it needs to be washed or aired out.

I have used the finished Quilt on my bed for a week to see how the Cuben worked. It work so well that I am now making a Sleeping Bag completely out of Cuben – Inside and Out. I also used this Down Quilt inside my Bivy last week – outside on a icy night – when the temperature dropped to 26 degrees (F). I was very warm. How could you not be warm with 4" plus of Down surrounding you.

This photo taken before it was put inside the Cuben – Pertex Quantum Shell.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I've often wondered if the majority of the insulating gear you've sewn would be warm enough for me as a cold sleeper, but this is a nice looking (and versatile) piece that could really keep someone warm. Thanks for the photos, Bill.

Questions. How well does the insulation "ride" inside the cuben/pertex shell and does it flop around? Your method of getting the silk out of the shell is what, a simple flap on one end that just folds over does it actually "close up" with snaps or a drawcord?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Bill,
    Agree with the past post.
    Some pictures of the inside removed with a picture and better explanation of the silk baffles.

I imagine this works the way it does because pertex is just so breathable, your probably getting enough breathability just out of the 4" sides of the bag to not have an issue with condensation. Will this configuration also allow you to insert variable widths, in order to have 2 or 3 different selections for your trip?

Making a cuben bag would still give you the same issues as it is a WPB, but since you're having success with it, go for it.

I am also ashamed of you. This is the 1st piece of new gear I've ever seen you post with out the weight posted on it.
    it. I think it's because your scale only goes to 1 pound, ha ha.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Sam,

I have always tried to make it clear that the size on my insulating gear was as small as possible and still work for my size. I also think it is OK to wear everything you are carrying if you have to – to stay warm. I don't hike in the winter without a decent and current weather forecast.

There are a couple of easy ways to attach the inside quilt to the cover. One is with a set of narrow grosgrain loops sewn into the seam of the inside of the cover. The distance between the loops should be 12 inches more or less. A set of open loops are placed on the quilt so they can be attach to the loops on the cover. The open end of the matching loops has a small snap on them. You just put the quilt pieces through the set of loops on the cover and snap them closed. See picture. A person could also just tie the quilt loop to the loop on the cover.

===

Aaron,

I am going to make a Down version of the Cuben Sleeping Bag. When I do I will take a set of pictures of the baffle part. This picture is an example of the way the baffles are made.

Being able to use different thickness of insulation within the same outer shell could be done. I am not sure there would be a weight saving. The insulation would still need to be inclosed with some type of material. For now I think I will end up with one Down and two different synthetic bags to test with.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Aaron,
    When I made this Down Quilt my main concern was how the Cuben for the bottom would work and to see how warm 4" to 4.5" of Down loft might be.

The Down Quilt weighs 20.7 ounces. 14 ounces of that is the Down. When I was working on this thread I couldn't find my notes. They were in my notebook where they were suppose to be.

If the all Cuben Sleeping Bag works OK I may recyle the Down from this quilt to a new one made of all Cuben. All other things being equal the weigh with all Cuben should be about 18 ounces.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Bill,

I haven't seen cuben in real live, i've only seen it in your posts. I do really wonder: does the cuben fiber feel comfortable? You probably sleep in your clothes, but it seems very uncomfortable against the skin to me.

I do like the feel of Pertex Quantum on my skin in a SB.

Eins

Jason Turner

@headchange4u

I have been looking for a source for Pertex. Where did you buy yours?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Einstein,
    I don't sleep naked in the woods but I will do a bedroom test when I have time to take a nap.

Jason,

To buy Pertex products you first need to be approved as a customer. Then you need to be willing to buy at their normal minimum purchase of 500 yards.

Pertex does not allow their products to be sold retail. Pertex product do show up from time to time for sale but seldom using the Pertex name.

Go to Thru-Hiker.com and buy Momentum90. It comes in 6 colors and you can buy it by the yard.

cushing hamlen

@chamlen

Locale: Minnesota

Bill – beautiful quilt! My question however for you is a little bit of an aside: I have been searching in vain for a source for Pertex Quantum for my own projects. Where did you get yours??? Please, please, please….I really would appreciate it! :-)

Oops…I just caught your post to Jason. How equivalent is the momentum 90 to the pertex?? Is anyone at BPL listening: it would be really, really, nice to have a technology article on the DWR-like fabrics (like the pertex line) that parallels the article on "waterproof" fabrics that came out a while ago. That article was extremely helpful in cutting through all the marketing claims….

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Cushing,
    I agree that an article to just compare what is available at the popular fabric outlets would be very helpful. Fabric and insulation.

If I could not get Pertex Quantum I would use Momentum90 from Thru-Hiker.com as a direct replacement.

cushing hamlen

@chamlen

Locale: Minnesota

Bill – Momentum 90 it is! I have been looking for an equivalent for almost a year….Thank you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools