Topic

Suggestions for 4 day, 3 night hike in southern catskills

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Suggestions for 4 day, 3 night hike in southern catskills

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Brower

@rgb42

Hello, and thanks for checking this out.

A few buddies and I are planning a backpacking trip to the southern catskills for late April, and are seeking suggestions for a 4 day, 3 night hike. Ideally, we would like to hike a loop since we'll have only one vehicle to get us to the destination. As for difficulty, we're looking for something more moderate than strenuous, but definately willing to "go that extra mile" if the views are that much better. Access to multiple water ways along the way would be a huge plus since we'd rather haul as little as possible.

None of us have hiked the catskills before so this will be new to us. If anyone has any suggestions they would be very welcome.

Thank you,

rgb42

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Anything involving Wittenberg or Cornell is worth it. I have not been to either myself, but have hiked in the area, and based on the pictures of the view, its on my next to do list for the 'Skills. http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/64/89a4915371e71dfaa38a26e8f23751ea/l.jpg

You could go up Panther Mountain and Giant Ledge from Fox Hollow, do Slide/Cornell/Wittenberg, down to Woodland Valley, and back over Giant Ledge and Panther Mtn. Alternatively, from the south you could climb Peekamoose and Table mountains, down across the Neversink river, up Slide/Cornell/Wittenberg, down to Woodland Valley, but back to the south this time. Either way is an out and back combined with a loop (not too many true loops exist in the Catskills). Panther Mountain and Giant Ledge offer "better" views but Peekamoose and Table will be more secluded, especially on weekends. Slide will be a little crowded no matter what, since its the high point of the Catskills. A cool spot for a campsite, if its still legal at that spot (its right around the 3500' line, above which there is no camping), is in the col between Slide and Cornell. The map shows a spring, I have no idea what the details are. All in all, that area of the Catskills is a great area, you'll have a lot of fun any way you go.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

You should check out the ADK High Peaks forums for Catskills trips. There's a couple Catskills specific forums.

Robert Brower

@rgb42

Thanks for following up guys, and great suggestions Greg. We're working on mapping something out now which I think is going to include quite a bit of Devil's Path since a few of us are nuts. Should be good times, and if we come up with an ingenious loop and it works out great on paper and reality I'll post it.

Thanks again,

Rob

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

This is a fun video. A five day hike into 24 hrs on the Devil's Path.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools