Topic

The First Annual SoCal BPL Rally

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports The First Annual SoCal BPL Rally

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Envious of the Northern California annual backpack and all their fun, the SoCal BPL members managed our first SoCal hike this past Saturday, January 28, 2012. This robust group commenced their hike at 9:00 am. meeting in the parking lot of the Candy Store just off Ortega Highway in southern Orange County, marching five miles to Sitton Peak. As hard as we tried to match the northern California group’s flare for absolutely miserable, butt freezing weather, we had to settle for totally beautiful clear skies and temperatures in the high 70ºs. Sorry, but it is January, we did our best. Next year maybe we can enjoy more august weather.

Thanks to Michael for taking charge and setting a date and to Warren for relentless recruiting of fellow BPLers to find a quorum. Clockwise from top left:

Jerry, Michael, Warren and John in the breathless atmosphere of Sitton Peak, 3,293'.
    BPLSoCalHike

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good Job Guys! It's really not that hard to get backpackers to go backpacking. We'll take some beautiful weather this time around. We done our share in the bad weather. If you guys have not had enough of other Bplrs come up to Coe in a couple of weeks.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

We had a great time atop Sitton Peak. Views were quite spectacular probably exceeding 50 miles in all directions. John, thanks for the ride and the good company to a from our day out. Michael, thanks for organizing it all and Jerry it was great to see you after many years. Let's do it again soon.

Maybe we can go to the PCT Kick off day in the end of April. That'd be a fun day out and we could get a closer look at many of the cottage industries finest products.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Warren, I am in for the PCT kick off. Thanks

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

It was my pleasure to organize the hike. No problem at all. Be on the lookout for some more SoCal adventures.

@ Ken: Wish I could make its up to Coe. But definitely want to meet our other BPL brethren in the north. I'll see if I can rally some of my SoCal buddies up there before too long.

Michael

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I make it down south on occasion for family there. Just have to get a hike in while I am at it.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Congrats on finding some fellow BPLers in SoCal.

Hopefully you can put together a simple overnighter and post pics up.

Seems to snowball into something much bigger when people can see photos of the fun that you had.

Also, does not help to have someone like Ken T. to put in the huge effort to organize things.

Here is hoping to see more post from our SoCal BPLers!

-Tony

kevin smith

@divr6347

jack and i are right in the middle here in bakersfield

would love to meet up with the so cal group for some trips same driving time for us either way

for the so cal group you guys would have a fantastic time at the ggg in coe this will be my third time attending this gathering and i can tell you from experience

the northern area bpl ers are hands down a fantastic and welcoming group

just watch out for those two guys named ken lol just kidding

if you so cal guys ever get a chance to head north for a hike with the bay area boys you will be in for an absolute treat they are great

will be watching for so cal trips in the future

kevin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools